#indiewebcamp 2014-08-13

2014-08-13 UTC
manny__, brianloveswords, caseorganic and jacus joined the channel
#
luxagraf.net
edited /User:Luxagraf.net (+17) "finally got A+ rating"
(view diff)
luxagraf, npdoty, tantek, caseorganic, Phaw, lewiscowper, chrissaad, snarfed, fmarier, KevinMarks, frzn, gRegor`, manny__ and krendil joined the channel
#
david.shanske.com
edited /User:David.shanske.com (+334) "/* In Development */"
(view diff)
#
GWG
There's that.
#
kylewm
snarfed: microformats police showing up at your place, your u-syndications are not parsing the way i want them to
#
snarfed
kylewm: doh! looking
#
snarfed
ah yeah. i guess u-syndication has to be an <a> ?
#
snarfed
i'll put that on my todo list
#
kylewm
snarfed: is that generated by a plugin these days?
#
kylewm
or more of a template situation>?
#
snarfed
yeah, a plugin, but i wrote that part of it, so still my fault :P
#
kylewm
that's rad
#
kylewm
I do wish it were easier to put that stuff outside of the e-content in wordpress :/
#
snarfed
me too!!!
#
GWG
kylewm, snarfed: I solved that
#
snarfed
GWG: yeah?
#
GWG
You just have to build it right
#
GWG
I added a placement position in the template
paulcp and jsilvestre joined the channel
fourtonfish, caseorganic, jsilvestre, cweiske, eschnou, ShaneHudson and acegiak joined the channel
#
acegiak
does anyone still use xmpp?
#
cweiske
I love it
#
bear
every day
#
acegiak
can I add you to see if my server is working?
#
cweiske
cweiske@cweiske.de
#
bear
bear@bear.im
#
acegiak
weird, I assumed that the mobile age had killed the client cause it didn't allow for push messaging
#
cweiske
I use it at home, and at work - at work we use it within the company and even to talk with larger customers and other agencies
#
acegiak
ok cool
#
bear
same here
#
bear
we also use it for internal and customer/client work
#
acegiak
added from acegiak@machinespirit.net
#
cweiske
one company we work with uses hipchat, but they offer an xmpp gateway
#
cweiske
acegiak, didn't get anything
#
cweiske
i'll check the logs
#
cweiske
I(<0.1505.24>:ejabberd_s2s_out:235) : s2s connection: cweiske.de -> machinespirit.net (remote server not found)
#
acegiak
that's interesting...
#
bear
you have port 5222 open but not 5269
#
bear
so s2s won't work
#
bear
oh, wait, it did connnect
#
bear
odd indeed
#
acegiak
my firewall's not going while I'm setting things up so that's not it...
caseorganic joined the channel
#
cweiske
there is a testing tool
#
bear
yea, that will tell you if your server is configured securely and also, indirectly, that it's responding
#
acegiak
ah thanks
#
acegiak
ok I'll have to have a look after I get back from dinenr
#
bear
Ping failed (remote-server-not-found): Server-to-server connection failed: DNS resolution failed
#
bear
your dns may not be fully distributed
#
acegiak
hmmm ok
#
bear
^^ that's what the prosody channel's bot returned
caseorganic, Tallken, plieuse and alanpearce joined the channel
#
KartikPrabhu
damnit! how does one go about adding fragmentions to videos :P
#
aaronpk
you've seen youtube's syntax for linking to a timestamp within a video yea?
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: yes. you think that is a good syntax?
#
aaronpk
whether or not I think it's good, it is in use
#
aaronpk
youtube also does a pretty good job of video annotations
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: yes it does. What if this video is embeded in an article?
#
KartikPrabhu
should the hyperlink be of the video or the article?
#
aaronpk
what do you mean?
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: here is the exact example: http://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20140812-the-musical-magical-number-theorist/ I am watching the video and the dude is saying very interesting things that I want to add to my reading "highlights/bookmarks"
#
aaronpk
oh I see what you mean
#
aaronpk
does the video have its own permalink? or is that the permalink for the video?
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: not a permalink that is linked anywhere findable excpet maybe in the source
#
aaronpk
then that article is the video permalink
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: so any t=34 parameter would atumatically refer to the video as a convention ?
#
KartikPrabhu
that seems to work, at least for articles with one video in them
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: btw that link has very nicely done profiles of all the Fields medal winning mathematicians for this year. if you are interested in that sort of obscure thing
#
aaronpk
maybe that links is actually a video that happens to have a really long description
#
aaronpk
i mean it's not like you link directly to an mp4 file on youtube. you're still linking to an HTML page that may even contain a description of the video
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: it is not. It is definitely an article with a video. each of them can stand on their own as separate things
#
aaronpk
my point is that both that post and youtube links are HTML pages that embed a video player and also have additional text
#
KartikPrabhu
side rant: mathematicians using Comic Sans in slides... judas priest!
petermolnar joined the channel
#
KartikPrabhu
aaronpk: yup that point is surely taken
caseorganic joined the channel
#
KartikPrabhu
i suppose in an ideal world the article h-entry would have a e-video or somethign and the fragmention would just default to the first u-video
#
aaronpk
that seems reasonable
#
aaronpk
okay bedtime for me! goodnight!
#
Loqi
buenas noches
Sebastien-L joined the channel
#
@cherylgallaway
@aral the Brighton @indiewebcamp looks very interesting. I'm out of town the Saturday. Are there any other possibilities to partake?
(twtr.io/pZiTeX2SZb)
caseorganic and fofr joined the channel
#
@aral
@cherylgallaway @indiewebcamp I believe some folks are taking part remotely cc @aaronpk
(twtr.io/pZo3Wf92iC)
caseorganic, barnabywalters, emmak_, adactio, KevinMarks2 and ShaneHudson joined the channel
#
barnabywalters
morning adactio
#
adactio
barnabywalters: morning
#
barnabywalters
can you try to get indiewebcamp added to the brighton digital festival event listing?
caseorganic and cweiske joined the channel
#
KartikPrabhu
morning{?} people!
#
ShaneHudson
Good morning KartikPrabhu :)
#
KartikPrabhu
hi ShaneHudson what's happening?
#
ShaneHudson
Getting over my hangover and trying to get some work done haha :) yourself?
#
KartikPrabhu
getting over my lack of sleep and trying to get some work done... so similar ;
scor and alanpearce joined the channel
#
KartikPrabhu
adactio: how is IWC Brighton going? concerned about all the folks discouraged by the "categories" on the event page
#
adactio
KartikPrabhu: now that it's been edited to be "have website? want website?" it will hopefully be a bit friendlier.
#
KartikPrabhu
adactio: hopefully. having new voices/people is quite important
#
adactio
KartikPrabhu: I concur
#
KartikPrabhu
can't have all these "experts" running things all the time ;)
Tallken joined the channel
#
ShaneHudson
adactio: Ah that is much nicer
#
KartikPrabhu
I think it might be useful to have event organisers, tailor the page to their audience?
#
ShaneHudson
Yeah, I don't know about the US but I know I would feel vaugely annoyed if I were called say 'apprentice' instead of 'creator'.
#
ShaneHudson
A lot of places have stopped having 'senior developer' and 'junior developer' for similar reasons.
#
KartikPrabhu
yeah. I shouldn't really go with my irreverent attitude towards labels
caseorganic and Tallken joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
does anyone know if its possible in git to create an annotated tag, and then sign it
frzn joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
barnabywalters: I'd figured it might be something to do with the -f option
#
jonnybarnes
I'm currently battling with gpg-agent not working properly, I get error messages for pinentry-ncurses at the moment
jsilvestre joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
I've given up and opened an issue on github to see if someone else knows better than me: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/31567
caseorganic joined the channel
#
@emmajanehw
@indiewebcamp just in case you missed this: *GREAT* checklist at the bottom of: https://www.gov.uk/community-development-framework pls make your site tick all boxes :)
(twtr.io/p_0Y5YFBdf)
scor, caseorganic, carlo_au, eschnou and jsilvestre joined the channel
#
@sentience
@webdirections Is the video of @t’s talk from #WDC14 going to be released publicly soon? Want to use it to grow the #IndieWeb movement.
(twtr.io/p_6BYUqRdB)
pfefferle, Sebastien-L, caseorganic, ben_thatmust and carlo_au joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
good morning #indiewebcamp
#
ben_thatmustbeme
I have quite a lot I want to get done today, should be interesting.
pfefferle and caseorganic joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
Is this "legit" markup for a reply, trying to get my head aroung the authorship algorithm
pfefferle joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
i.e. in the case should one expect to find a h-card on joebloggs.com or wherever the header link goes to
#
jonnybarnes
and should Joe expect a parser looking for an h-card to go to follow the header link
cuibonobo, caseorganic, ShaneHudson, wolftune, alanpear_ and snarfed joined the channel
#
aaronpk
good morning!
#
jonnybarnes
morning aaronpk
#
cuibonobo
morning!
#
aaronpk
hm I am less clear on how the authorship algorithm should work for reply context. but isn't that documented on the wiki?
alanpearce and wolftune joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
aaronpk: So am I wrong on my site? https://jonnybarnes.uk/notes/2R
#
jonnybarnes
i must be
#
jonnybarnes
just noticed my templating ir resulting in two h-entry's
#
jonnybarnes
but in particular, my notes have a rel=author link in the header, outside of the h-entry itself
#
jonnybarnes
ignore the inner h-entry which shouldn't be there
#
aaronpk
your h-entry is a child for some reason
#
aaronpk
I don't know... I hope barnabywalters can make a validator for reply context markup for indiewebify.me :)
#
barnabywalters
aaronpk: dammit not more things to do
#
barnabywalters
but yes, that is needed. it’s a known issue on the indiewebify.me repo :)
#
jonnybarnes
theres an indiewebify-me repo?
#
barnabywalters
oh actually maybe it isn’t raised as an issue. I was sure I added it
chrissaad joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
right, I've got rid of the second (inner) h-entry now
#
jonnybarnes
so again, have I got my markup wrong, particularly with view to authorship
#
jonnybarnes
my authership being indicated by the rel=author link in the header
#
jonnybarnes
this being outside the h-entry
#
barnabywalters
jonnybarnes: what’s the problem now? your markup looks fine
#
barnabywalters
rel-author is page-scoped, it doesn’t have to be in the h-entry
caseorganic joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
so an authorship algorithm should pick that up (agenda being I'm trying to add an authorship algo to my webmention parser)
#
barnabywalters
although that might be an issue with my authorship algorithm
#
jonnybarnes
the fact that the author field is blank in that middle column?
#
jonnybarnes
ah it isnt
#
barnabywalters
it’s not blank, it has Eric Mill’s info in
#
ben_thatmustbeme
hmm indiewebify.me doesn't seem to think facebook, instagram, or tumblr link back, though they definitely have links back with rel=me
#
aaronpk
facebook doesn't return html for profiles
#
aaronpk
instagram doesn't have rel=me
#
ben_thatmustbeme
tumblr has it hidden in a popup, so i get that one too
#
aaronpk
oh wait instagram also doesn't return html anymore
#
aaronpk
instagram is basically a giant <script> tag
#
aaronpk
probably because facebook
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i was going to say, i just checked it, it does have rel=me now
#
aaronpk
wait they put rel=me on the link, but render it via javascript?!
#
barnabywalters
much like twitter archives having js-rendered microformats2
ShaneHudson joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
yeah, sorry, tumblr doesn't have links at all
#
jonnybarnes
barnabywalters: so do you think perhaps you algo is looking for a h-card in the h-entry, and found Eric's, where the algo should realise thats the h-card of what my note is replying to
#
barnabywalters
jonnybarnes: it seems likely, I’ll look into it later
caseorganic, awolf, gRegor` and pfefferle joined the channel
#
GWG
Anyone know a good source for wildcard ssl certificates?
#
aaronpk
I use namecheap.com
#
@kevinmarks
RT @emmajanehw: @indiewebcamp just in case you missed this: *GREAT* checklist at the bottom of: https://www.gov.uk/community-development-framework pls make your site …
(twtr.io/p_N7uB2ts0)
#
jonnybarnes
GWG: I use StartSSL, it costs maybe $50 to get virified, but then you can make as many wilcard certs as you want, so if you have multiple domains
#
@HongPong
RT @BuzzWorkers: @HongPong @Ows_Casper @Ergoat @KitOConnell if you can digg into #webmentions #indieweb new protocol for decentralized #soc…
(twtr.io/p_NQijS2A9)
#
GWG
I use their free program. The free wildcards from them, any restrictions?
#
ShaneHudson
Think I have fully decided to use Craft now. Think I've worked out a way to receive webmentions nicely :)
#
kylewm
so doesn't indiewebcamp.com tick all those boxes? (kevinmarks's RT above)
#
kylewm
what is craft?
#
ShaneHudson
kylewm: A cms
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /IRC_People (+120) "add Loqi, add my avatar"
(view diff)
#
kylewm
ShaneHudson: not open source?
#
ShaneHudson
kylewm: Sadly not, but their UI etc is exactly what I need and I don't have the time to build my own. The code is freely available however and the free version will be fine for my needs
caseorganic joined the channel
#
kylewm
ah such an interesting trend of non-free software with public source code!
#
ShaneHudson
To be honest, I am fine with that. I don't mind paying for good software, as long as I can modify it myself if need be and have the option to make sure it is safe etc
#
kylewm
ShaneHudson: maybe stub in /Craft when you have time with this info
#
kylewm
takes off tantek hat
#
Loqi
kylewm has 38 karma
#
aaronpk
kylewm: it's a nice hat, you should keep it
#
kylewm
i learned that the tantek hat is a white fedora
#
ShaneHudson
I will stub it once I've got a version working properly with webmentions
#
ShaneHudson
there is already a good plugin for sending webmentions but not yet recieving. The exact opposite of my current site lol
#
ShaneHudson
I just really like the way the dashboard allows widgets for quick posting each post type. Wordpress takes a lot of hacking to do that well
#
aaronpk
what is craft?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for that yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=craft
chrissaad joined the channel
#
kylewm
aaronpk: that's awesome!!!
Garbee, cuibonobo and tantek joined the channel
#
tantek
good morning #indiewebcamp!
#
@HongPong
RT @BuzzWorkers: @HongPong the whole #indieweb wiki is a marvellous thing to dive in also on #freenode IRC plenty of experiments on federat…
(twtr.io/p_S8HKqts0)
#
@HongPong
RT @BuzzWorkers: @Ergoat @GeorgieBC @KitOConnell @Ows_Casper @HongPong yep known formerly @idno is great implementation of #indieweb gonna …
(twtr.io/p_S8iweeNh)
#
tantek
great job yesterday with following up to feedback and updating the wiki for IndieWebCamp UK. Thanks aaronpk adactio aral barnabywalters gRegor` kylewm !
#
tantek
is rereading the logs to see if he missed anything.
#
adactio
tantek: I didn't do any wiki-editing myself but I heartily approve of the changes. :-)
#
tantek
adactio - appreciate your perspective and following up to feedback.
#
tantek
and continued pushing to open things up in the UK
paulcp joined the channel
#
tantek
adactio, do you remember Jeff Veen's presentations where he showed the USDA site with prominent "Need Hay" and "Have Hay" links at the top?
#
adactio
tantek: I remember it well!
#
tantek
would you believe no one involved with the concept or editing of the wiki yesterday had heard of it?
#
tantek
(and independently came up with "Have a personal website" "Want a personal website" )
techlifeweb joined the channel
#
@techlifeweb
Discovered a bug in Wordpress Jetpack Publicize #indieweb http://techlifeweb.com/social/?p=163
(twtr.io/p_TUZXYFhx)
#
kylewm.com
created /community-brainstorming (+3323) "adding bullet points from https://www.gov.uk/community-development-framework and some thoughts about which items we can check and which need some exploration"
(view diff)
#
kylewm.com
edited /community (+46) "added link to community brainstorming"
(view diff)
#
tantek
just being skeptical here - how is gov.uk an authority on community? that is, do they have a healthy community themselves, and thus have proof of selfdogfooding of their own checklist?
#
tantek
or are these just "sounds like a good idea" hypotheticals?
#
kylewm.com
edited /community-brainstorming (-60) "/* Community development framework checklist */ remove unnecessary @-names's in quoted tweets"
(view diff)
brianloveswords and squeakytoy joined the channel
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /Template:irc_user (+20) "only include sparkline if a 4th parameter exists"
(view diff)
#
tantek
oh neat - conditionals!
#
aaronpk
not sure it worked
cweiske joined the channel
#
aaronpk
problem is without that the img tag gets written with an empty src attribute whcih is then interpreted as the current page
#
aaronpk
so everyone has a u-photo of indiewebcamp.com/irc-people
#
tantek
lol oops
#
tantek
w3c template likely has same problem
#
kylewm
tantek: fair point re: gov.uk, skepticism warranted, but I did want to make sure we processed some of @emmajanehw's feedback somewhere
#
aaronpk
funny enough it doesn't
#
aaronpk
should we switch IWC version to that?
#
aaronpk
I don't know the details of why the two are different
#
tantek
aaronpk because IWC allows <img> and w3c wiki does not
#
tantek
even the background-image doesn't work right now due to w3c wiki restrictions
#
aaronpk
maybe add a comment in the w3 version saying as such?
#
tantek
I used it anyway in the hopes that I can get their system team to fix it
#
tantek
saying what?
#
tantek
the image *does* get used in the logs
#
aaronpk
explaining what's going on with that template
#
aaronpk
cause it's pretty bizarre looking
#
aaronpk
you can use <noinclude> to add docs about it
manny__ joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /community-brainstorming (+1129) "add skepticism since no evidence gov.uk has a healthy community itself (counter with citations), nor any evidence that they themselves follow their framework/checklist (lack of selfdogfood), note some additional points"
(view diff)
#
tantek
and to be perfectly blunt, people that give claimed authoritative advice like that without obvious evidence of selfdogfooding are *exactly* the kind you *don't* want in a self-creative/constructive community
#
tantek
show don't tell etc.
#
tantek
regardless it seems like we obvious meet all items on that checklist
#
tantek
kylewm - agreed about processing emmajanehw's specific feedback, which frankly is more useful than the checklist.
#
aaronpk
the only one that i'm not sure we can check is the metrics/reporting one #10
#
tantek
I like what Tufte has to say about such "metrics"
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /Template:irc_user (-12) "temporary hack to test if the conditional is working"
(view diff)
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /Template:irc_user (+14) "this should do it"
(view diff)
tilgovi and snarfed joined the channel
#
aaronpk
announcing... profile images in irc logs! http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2014-08-13
#
tantek
woot!
#
Loqi
does a happy dance!
#
tantek
hmm - wondering what people think of "View this page as JSON" visible links on various wiki pages
#
tantek
to demonstrate / illustrate how the page itself has the data that turns into JSON via microformats
#
aaronpk
I kind of like the idea of doing that on my site too
barnabywalters joined the channel
#
tantek
"View this page as JSON (nerds only)"
#
tantek
1/2 ;)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
anyone have a sec to test something out with me
barnabywalters and KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
well when someone has a sec, i am just trying to test out adding peopple as friends gives them more info
#
tantek
oh nice!
#
ben_thatmustbeme
tantek, your site should be set up for it, if you log in to ben.thatmustbe.me you should see a few extra fields. in h-card
#
ben_thatmustbeme
still need admin interface for all of this, but i can just directly edit the DB for now
#
aaronpk
ben_thatmustbeme: i'll take a look!
#
ben_thatmustbeme
added you too aaronpk
#
aaronpk
which h-card?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
its on every page, just above the login box
#
ben_thatmustbeme
right side has SMS, Email, AIM screen name
#
ben_thatmustbeme
if you log out they aren't there
#
aaronpk
ohhh gotcha
#
aaronpk
I read that as "above elsewhere"
#
aaronpk
sweet!
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i figure once i get it set up so that a site could poll that data into a friend DB, then i basically have a way for people to pull in my contact sheet (with whatever I allow them access to) and a way to pull theirs into my DB
#
aaronpk
barnabywalters: why does your "Favourite" button have an action do=bookmark?
#
barnabywalters
aaronpk: I think at the time bookmark was the verb I decided I liked the best
#
aaronpk
but the button says favourite!
donpdonp joined the channel
#
barnabywalters
well, the fallback is a twitter favourite, so it says favourite by default. web action toolbelt overrides the text with whatever the user provides
#
aaronpk
oh interesting
#
aaronpk
i should probably install that at some point in the near future
#
Loqi
definitely
eschnou joined the channel
#
kylewm
tantek: thanks for being blunt about the checklist stuff
#
kylewm
i always appreciate your hard-won wisdom/advice on this stuff :)
#
kylewm
ugh hate when i say "stuff" twice in one sentence
#
ben_thatmustbeme
oh yay, pretty irc logs
#
ben_thatmustbeme
and Loqi is a dinosaur
paulcp joined the channel
#
tantek
digs for use-case documentation
#
kylewm.com
edited /community-brainstorming (+111) "/* Is there a way for members to interact in an informal way? */"
(view diff)
#
kylewm.com
edited /community-brainstorming (-28) "/* Is there a way for members to interact in an informal way? */"
(view diff)
#
tantek
aaronpk - in the IRC logs it looks like Loqi is editing the wiki - the image has such a prominent semantic
#
aaronpk
yeah totally
#
tantek
I wonder if it would be possible to show the avatar of the person associated with the User: domain ?
#
aaronpk
I can prooobably parse that out
#
tantek
using the same /irc-people
#
tantek
that would look cool to see who is editing the wiki
#
aaronpk
should probably omit the IRC nick from that line then?
#
aaronpk
or switch it to the IRC nick of the person who made the edit?
#
tantek
right that
#
aaronpk
oh I already do that for tweets
#
tantek
bingo
#
aaronpk
speaking of which, I should be able to use the twitter avatar hack
#
tantek
I wonder if both those should use h-cite on the embedded URL
#
aaronpk
probably on twitter it should
#
KartikPrabhu
likes Loqi's avatar
#
tantek
the wiki edits could be an h-cite of an /edit post!
#
aaronpk
I've been thinking about hacking up MW to make the RecentChanges list into h-entries
#
aaronpk
but it's gonna mean editing MW core
#
tantek
ah, put it on the to do list /wiki :)
#
aaronpk
unless I make a shadow version of the changes
#
aaronpk
like a separate URL somewhere
#
aaronpk
that's probably safer
#
tantek
right, energy better spent on improving the logs
#
tantek
DRY++
#
Loqi
DRY has 4 karma
#
tantek
shadowfiles--
#
Loqi
shadowfiles has -1 karma
#
tantek
sidefiles--
#
Loqi
dude
#
tantek
I suppose I was repeating myself ;)
grantmacken joined the channel
#
tantek
goes to the IRC logs as the fastest way to click on ben_thatmustbeme and go to his site.
#
tantek
I think our IRC logs "UI" is better than Slack at this point
#
snarfed
tantek: you use slack?
#
tantek
snarfed, no I've only watched people do it.
#
@kevinmarks
@freebsdgirl a spoon counting app? Tricky. Chat to @aaronpk in #indiewebcamp on freenode, he's built bits of this: http://aaronparecki.com/articles/2012/10/28/1/low-friction-personal-data-collection
(twtr.io/p_bRn9hVyQ)
#
snarfed
tantek: no
#
tantek
have been watching the rise of Slack, adoption by folks like NYT
#
kylewm
aaronpk: "oh I already do that for tweets" -- what does that mean?
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: ok I signed into your site and it says on in the sidebar
#
tantek
kylewm: tweets show up as from the @-name in the IRC logs, rather than as quoted by Loqi
#
kylewm
oh! awesome!
#
kylewm
aaronpk++
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 532 karma
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: I don't see any new information on your site after signing in
#
kylewm
aaronpk: you have to be careful, we're going to want you to make an IRC client soon
#
tantek
kylewm: think bigger
#
kylewm
lol, point taken
#
ben_thatmustbeme
hmm, tantek. i'll look in to that now.
#
tantek
kylewm: Slack is a commercial chat-as-a-service product that is bringing in income.
#
tantek
just saying
#
ben_thatmustbeme
tantek. according to cache files, it should have shown you it. Its not terribly obvious until I add more entries. But it is added to the end of the Elsewhere section
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: oh cool!
#
tantek
I see it!
#
aaronpk
what's that secret twitter avatar url?
#
aaronpk
oh funny, avatars.io does it: http://avatars.io/twitter/aaronpk
#
aaronpk
kylewm++
#
Loqi
kylewm has 39 karma
#
tantek
aaronpk, it's documented in /Twitter
#
kylewm
and you can remove _normal to embiggen
#
aaronpk
tantek: ha of course it is :)
caseorganic joined the channel
#
kylewm
oops _normal is documented too
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: well done with indieauth sign-in showing more h-card!
#
tantek
clearly we need to start a page on that with an IndieWeb Examples section :)
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme++
#
Loqi
ben_thatmustbeme has 6 karma
#
aaronpk
any css gurus know how I can better center the avatar with the text inline? it needs to scoot down a couple pixels
chrissaad joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
aaronpk, on where? the irc logs?
#
barnabywalters
aaronpk: I usually muck around with vertical-align for a while, then just use relative positioning because no vertical align value gives good results
#
tantek
aaronpk vertical-align is your friend
#
aaronpk
oh wait a negative bottom margin on the img works
#
aaronpk
oh vertical align is better
#
ben_thatmustbeme
thats what i was just testing
#
ben_thatmustbeme
they look a little crammed in now though
#
aaronpk
just added another pixel
snarfed1 joined the channel
#
bret
aaronpk++
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 533 karma
#
bret
these irc log images are amazing
jacus_ joined the channel
#
jenmontes.com
edited /IRC_People (+31) "/* Nicknames */ Image thingamajig"
(view diff)
natwelch and benwerd joined the channel
#
jonnybarnes
I got gpg and git working, yay, now the only problem is I replaced my initial annotated v0.1 tag with a new shiny gpg signed v0.1 tag
#
jonnybarnes
I can't push this signed tag to Github because it says I already have a v0.1 tag
#
jonnybarnes
anyone know how to fix this?
#
bret
git push tags --force!
#
bret
break that history
#
tantek
git command lines lol
KevinMarks joined the channel
#
bret
tantek i will convert you one day
#
bret
err >:D
#
tantek
oh? or we'll relegate git to merely plumbing behind a nice wiki-like UI ;)
#
aaronpk
that's pretty much how I use it
#
aaronpk
I rarely ever do command line git
#
KevinMarks
Thinking about comments/readers/following reminded me of that old post
#
bret
i do command line git for some things that uis dont have good coverage on
#
tantek
KevinMarks, exactly. same reason everyone who is mentioned online needs their own site
#
bret
but I do all the wacky stuff with a program, like conflict management
#
KevinMarks
I do command line git and the Mac git app
#
tantek
you can either make your own site / presence on the web show up in google results, or let what everyone else says show up in google results
#
jonnybarnes
thanks bret
#
KevinMarks
Yes exactly
#
bret
jonnybarnes careful with that flag
#
bret
your could overwrite data
#
kylewm.com
created /Craft (+141) "create stub"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
tantek: opinions about completely reformatting the wiki change lines in the IRC logs?
#
tantek
go for it
#
aaronpk
like, hide the really long diff URL under an <a> tag that says "show diff" or something
#
kylewm.com
edited /Craft (+1) "trying to satisfy Loqi's dfn regex"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
and no need to duplicate author if the lgo line shows the author already
#
barnabywalters
suggestion: replace N with New Page
#
barnabywalters
not even sure what ! is — edit?
#
bret
mindor vs not minor?
#
bret
s/mindor/minor
#
Loqi
bret meant to say: minor vs not minor?
#
aaronpk
I think M is minor
#
tantek
aaronpk, maybe "created /some-new-page" instead of "[[some-new-page]] !N"
#
tantek
and "edited /some-new-page" instead of "[[some-new-page]] ! "
#
aaronpk
tantek: do you know what the "!" means? not all of them have it
#
tantek
yeah they do
#
tantek
whoa. maybe absence of ! indicates adminship?
#
bret
autoconfimred?
#
kylewm
the wiki edit lines are SO GOOD
#
aaronpk
need an example of a delete
#
tantek
aaronpk - copyrighted images?
paulcp joined the channel
#
aaronpk
oh great they have a different format
#
bret
haha
#
aaronpk
man mediawiki
#
tantek
"delete … deleted" sounds a bit Cybermannish
wolftune joined the channel
#
kylewm
"Copyright violation" exterrrrrminate
#
aaronpk
are the numbers like (-6) (+49) useful?
#
tantek
sure - as some indicator of change
#
tantek
Tufte would argue a sparkline would be more informative ;)
#
aaronpk
so not going there
caseorganic joined the channel
#
aaronpk
need an example of a wiki edit with no comment
#
Guerillero
aaronpk: for diffs in the wiki?
#
gRegor`
Oh hai, pictures in the logs. Nice work.
#
Guerillero
those numbers tell yo when someone is dumping lots of text and is a likely copyvio or when someone is section blanking
#
tantek.com
edited /why (+120)
(view diff)
#
tantek
aaronpk there you go ^^^
#
aaronpk
ha thanks
#
aaronpk
here's the regex that matches those IRC lines and parses them into parts:
#
aaronpk
^\[\[(.+)\]\]( (?:[!NM]*|delete))? (.+) \* (.+) \* (\([+-]\d+\))?(?:deleted)?(.*)
#
Guerillero
looks right
#
aaronpk
now to put it back together in some sensible order
#
aaronpk
now with named subpatterns http://rubular.com/r/7LS6L57c2H
#
tantek
presumably no need to duplicate domain name of editor?
#
tantek
i.e. can be removed from the right hand side? since it's now on the left hand side?
#
aaronpk
right. so thinking: tantek.com (edited|created|deleted) /page "comment" <a href="">view diff</a>
manny__ joined the channel
#
tantek
with the (+/-nnn) just after /page
#
tantek
rather than at the end
KevinMarks_ joined the channel
#
aaronpk
gah I have to match deletes separately too
ShaneHudson joined the channel
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: what inspired you to add the indieauth consuming support to your website and the expanded contact details?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
tantek, step toward my take on people focused communication
#
tantek
a-ha! thanks for that connection
#
tantek
perhaps we should add indieauth-based expanded h-card as a new level to http://indiewebcamp.com/indiemark#identity
#
tantek
does anyone else do it?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
ideally i'll just have that section on a /contact page that will be made css pretty for mobile
#
kylewm
ben_thatmustbeme: you have been thinking about that for a long time, right?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
kylewm, yeah. I have been super busy and finally just got around to implementing it
#
ben_thatmustbeme
the "authorized user" also then functions as a base for a contact list for my personal use
#
ben_thatmustbeme
perhaps consume other's h-card data in to it
#
aaronpk
huh now it's not obvious they are wiki edits!
#
kylewm
ben_thatmustbeme: Oh I didn't mean that as a slight :) just that you have given it a lot of thought!
#
ben_thatmustbeme
kylewm: I didn't take it as one. I just usually try to get to things sooner than that
#
tantek.com
edited /IndieMark (+576) "/* identity */ add comms and consuming IndieAuth, expanded h-card as possible future levels for Identity axis"
(view diff)
#
kylewm
aaronpk: wiki edits look good to me if i change to a lighter purple like say rgba(156, 122, 183, 1)
#
aaronpk
oh cool thanks
#
kylewm
maybe a little more saturated than that so it matches the twitter blue
#
aaronpk
it's so dark I forgot it was purple. will play with that in a sec.
#
tantek
aaronpk they look like edits/changes to the site - looks good to me!
#
tantek
"wiki-ness" is not essential to communicate is it?
#
aaronpk
just need to make them not look like something people are typing
#
aaronpk
since they're kind of third-person entries, not first-person
#
ben_thatmustbeme
yeah, i thought you had removed them at one point, they blended in too much
#
tantek
aaronpk - I thought the use of domain names rather than IRC nicks helped with that
#
tantek
e.g. "tantek.com edited" rather than "tantek edited"
#
aaronpk
oh I could change that back
#
tantek
that might be both subtle yet different enough to be effective
#
tantek
and wiki edits can come from any signed-in domain user, they might not be on IRC
#
aaronpk
it was falling back to domain if they were not on irc-people
#
tantek
aaronpk
#
tantek
aaronpk, perhaps omit the image for wiki edits?
#
aaronpk
wasn't the thing that prompted this the idea of having the image next to peopel's wiki edits?
#
tantek
aaronpk - your observation is correct, having the image next to the edit makes it look like the person is talking
#
tantek
whereas the gray text "ShaneHudson joined #indiewebcamp" looks decidedly passive
#
tantek
without an icon
#
ShaneHudson
It's because I'm that important :p
#
tantek
I think it's right that the "joined" messages don't show an icon
#
tantek
so similar "edited " or "created " are 3rd party statements like "joined "
#
tantek
s/similar/similarly
#
Loqi
tantek meant to say: so similarly "edited " or "created " are 3rd party statements like "joined "
#
aaronpk
the real question is what to do about alignment
#
aaronpk
put a blank placeholder so that the nicks line up with domain name of wiki edit?
#
tantek
aaronpk - it's actually quite a mixed question
#
tantek
since the edit *summary* *was* effectively spoken by the editor
#
tantek
so now I'm mixed about it (showing an icon or not next to wiki edits)
#
aaronpk
maybe making the whole line purple (including user domain name) is enough and I can put back the image
#
ben_thatmustbeme
image should really be coming out of the user page, not the irc-people page
#
tantek
agreed. let's try that.
#
tantek
agreed with aaronpk that is
#
ben_thatmustbeme
but that means duplicating your image link
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: you mean the image should really be coming from the h-card or /icon at the person's domain right? ;)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
either that or that user's page on the wiki
#
ben_thatmustbeme
ideally that would be cool
#
ben_thatmustbeme
pull it directly from their personal domain
#
tantek
aaronpk - yes making the whole line purple works!
#
ben_thatmustbeme
either way it breaks the assumption of being an irc user for wiki edits. conversly this is the IRC log
#
aaronpk
oh dear now i'm not happy with how the text wraps across lines
#
ben_thatmustbeme
lol, no pleasing you aaronpk
#
aaronpk
i'm picky
#
tantek
aaronpk - don't touch that - we need all the width for more succinctly displaying on mobile
#
ben_thatmustbeme
"exacting standards"
#
aaronpk
the only thing I'd change is make it not go below the # xx:xx
#
tantek
that's my point
#
aaronpk
so it'd wrap starting under the photo
#
aaronpk
oh yeah that is a lot of space on mobile
#
kylewm.com
edited /community-brainstorming (+118) "/* Is there at least 1 person responsible for managing information and encouraging constructive participation? */ code-of-conduct not linked on events pages, but I will add it"
(view diff)
#
tantek
the tweets with icons now look much better - amazing
#
aaronpk
need to find a better font for iphone
#
tantek
is viewing on iOS
bnvk joined the channel
#
tantek
the mini-faces on iPod 5 touch with retina display are *amazing*
#
aaronpk
tantek: lol tell me what you think of that font
#
tantek
is tempted to add Twitter avatar auto-embedding to /CASSIS auto_link for @-names
#
tantek
aaronpk, uh, way too serify
#
kylewm.com
created /code_of_conduct (+29) "Redirected page to [[code-of-conduct]]"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
is fixed width important?
#
aaronpk
i feel like condensed is more important
#
kylewm.com
edited /2014/UK (+38) "/* Participating */ added link to Code of Conduct"
(view diff)
#
tantek
aaronpk, I agree, condensed is more important
#
kylewm.com
edited /2014/Cambridge (+38) "/* Participating */"
(view diff)
#
tantek
so FWIW, Colloquy uses "Lucida Grande"
#
aaronpk
it's pretty wide
#
tantek
researches what font does Twitter on iOS use
caseorganic joined the channel
#
tantek
huh, looks like just "Helvetica Neue"
wunderdojo joined the channel
#
kylewm
hehe, I have to turn off my Stylish CSS overrides for the irc logs
#
kylewm
hooray for no more Courier New!
#
aaronpk
well this is set to helvetica neue now
#
tantek
what size?
#
aaronpk
10pt looks like
#
barnabywalters
woah the logs are looking amazing!
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 535 karma
#
tantek
aaronpk make it 1px smaller
#
aaronpk
smaller? it's pretty tiny already (on desktop)
#
tantek
I'm comparing iOS log archive vs. twitter stream
#
ben_thatmustbeme
perhaps some @media tag for mobile vs desktop
#
ben_thatmustbeme
dislikes the change in font though he is admittedly used to seeing fixed width
#
aaronpk
media queries confuse me
#
barnabywalters
are pixel density media queries supported? When using a retina display I always find myself making things smaller
#
bnvk
have any of you heard or tried out http://www.signal.org/ ?
#
barnabywalters
bnvk: what is it?
#
barnabywalters
not entirely clear from the site
#
bnvk
I'm not 100% sure
#
bnvk
the description is quite interesting
#
ben_thatmustbeme
barnabywalters, if memory servers, no, pixel density is never not something css is shown at all, only screen size
#
bnvk
but I don't think it has all the features the article talks about
#
aaronpk
my ios is not listening to the media query
#
ben_thatmustbeme
emotes are the same display as inline too
#
ben_thatmustbeme
aaronpk, thats odd
#
aaronpk
oh nvm i had something else overriding it
#
aaronpk
*cascading*
#
barnabywalters
bnvk: sounds interesting, esp. the potential for domains as identifiers
#
aaronpk
tantek: made some special styles for small screens. what do you think?
#
aaronpk
smaller icons and smaller text
#
bnvk
ben_thatmustbeme: you can access pixel density via CSS
#
bnvk
shoot, I trying to find it
#
barnabywalters
aaronpk: for screens below 291px? tiny devices :)
#
barnabywalters
the font size changes are activating for me < 291px on FF nightly responsive design view
#
aaronpk
@media (max-width: 320px)
#
tantek
make it for below 640px
#
tantek
i.e. try tilting your iOS device to landscape ;)
#
bnvk
the way I've done it is via media queries- I guess not technically in the css
#
bnvk
media="screen and (-webkit-device-pixel-ratio: 2.0)" href="retina.css"
#
tantek
ew separate stylesheet *file* for retina?
#
bnvk
yah… that was one approach
#
bnvk
I haven't really done it for ages since I started using iconfonts
#
aaronpk
ios does something weird in landscape mode. it's not respecting the media query
#
tantek
because the width is >320px
#
aaronpk
or rather it is, but it zooms in
#
bnvk
yah, well what iOS device…
#
aaronpk
i made the text red for the media query selecting max-width 640px
#
aaronpk
and the text is red in landscape mode
#
tantek
hmm - might need meta viewport :/
#
aaronpk
meta viewport is already: width=device-width,initial-scale=1,user-scalable=0
wolftune joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
not just ios, its red both orientations here too (android)
#
aaronpk
ben_thatmustbeme: does the zoom work properly on android? (page should be locked to the width of the screen and not allow zoom and not have any horizontal scrolling)
#
gRegor`
Red for me on Nexus 4 both orientations
#
kylewm.com
edited /User:Kylewm.com (+233) "/* personal site */ added PESOS from last.fm"
(view diff)
#
gRegor`
No zoom/scrolling on android
#
gRegor`
I like the ability to zoom, though.
#
tantek
yikes red now on iOS
caseorganic joined the channel
#
aaronpk
if I allow zooming then at least if you rotate you can zoom back out
#
aaronpk
k check it out now
#
tantek
without the crazy JS stuff on that adactio post
#
aaronpk
yeah that's pretty crazy
#
gRegor`
zoom works :)
#
tantek
reduce negative margin magnitude by 1-2px
#
aaronpk
set phasepistils to 7?
#
gRegor`
And no more red.
#
tantek
s/margin/margin-bottom on images
#
Loqi
tantek meant to say: reduce negative margin-bottom on images magnitude by 1-2px
#
gRegor`
Can you reticulate these splines?
tecgirl joined the channel
#
tantek
welcome tecgirl!
#
ben_thatmustbeme
hey tecgirl.
#
gRegor`
Hi, tecgirl
#
ben_thatmustbeme
aaronpk, you realize the problem with crowdsourcing design?
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: we're not crowdsourcing design, we're crowdsourcing design *testing*. big difference :)
#
aaronpk
i don't see a problem here :)
#
aaronpk
tantek: there's no negative margin bottom, it's just vertical-align: middle
#
ben_thatmustbeme
also noticed another thing to fix, don't know if you saw my message earlier
#
ben_thatmustbeme
thinks something
paulcp joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
thinks something
#
ben_thatmustbeme
those appear the same in the logs
#
tantek
hmm perhaps <ACTION>s should be 50% interpolated grey between utterances and "joined"
#
aaronpk
unfortunately i'm not logging actions properly
tecgirl joined the channel
#
aaronpk
but i agree
#
tantek
or the bullet that Colloquy uses
#
tantek
or both
#
tantek
(instead of only distinguishing by color)
mattheweppelshei joined the channel
#
bnvk
not to be off topic- but this is the neatest CSS tool I've found of late http://bennettfeely.com/flexplorer/
#
gregorlove.com
created /splines (+123) "reticulating"
(view diff)
#
gRegor`
what are splines?
#
Loqi
splines are for reticulating http://indiewebcamp.com/splines
#
tantek
hey at least he didn't define spimes
#
gRegor`
:)
#
aaronpk
ok i'm done for a while
KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
rascul
i love reticulating splines
#
aaronpk
brb, gotta go reticulate some splines
#
tantek
e.g. I saw "⦁ben_thatmustbeme thinks something" above for the <ACTION>
#
tantek
aaronpk lol
#
tantek
just a minor header tweak for the logs if you want to neaten them up
#
aaronpk
hasn't even looked at the header yet
#
tantek
I'm seeing the Prev / Next links get pushed down and expanding the header unnecessarily
#
tantek
I have some unicode you could borrow
#
tantek
←→
#
gregorlove.com
edited /lulz (+61) "/* Local */"
(view diff)
KevinMarks2 and manny__ joined the channel
#
aaronpk
realtime edits terminated
#
tantek
aaronpk - great work! these logs are looking AMAZING!
#
kylewm
aaronpk++ a whole barrel of ++'s
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 536 karma
#
tantek
aaronpk++
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 537 karma
#
aaronpk
now y'all gotta go add photos!
ShaneHudson and paulcp joined the channel
#
tantek
!tell bnvk re: not to be too offtopic - you know about #indiechat right? Also - go add an image for yourself in /irc-people so you look like you in the logs: http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/log/today :)
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell him that when I see him next
#
Loqi
bnvk: tantek left you a message 1 minute ago: re: not to be too offtopic - you know about #indiechat right? Also - go add an image for yourself in /irc-people so you look like you in the logs: http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/log/today :)
#
bnvk
which is ZOMG, so super cool :)
#
tantek
yeah sorry I meant /irc/today
#
tantek
duh, /log is implied
#
bnvk
hehe, how do I update my profile pic & URL?
#
tantek.com
created /log (+23) "r"
(view diff)
#
bnvk
dah, I tried /irc/people
krendil joined the channel
#
tantek.com
created /irc/people (+24) "r - let's see if this works"
(view diff)
eschnou joined the channel
#
kartikprabhu.com
edited /IRC_People (+108) "/* Nicknames */ add photo"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
I think everything under "/irc/" is not passed to mediawiki
#
aaronpk
i can redirect that on the server tho
caseorganic joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /IndieMark (+20) "/* navigation */ main"
(view diff)
#
aaronparecki.com
deleted /irc/people "it didn't work. fixed on the server."
#
tantek
aaronpk - it works for local wiki links, e.g. I can put [[irc/people]] into a wiki page and it will link
#
aaronpk
oh! ha
#
brennannovak.com
edited /IRC_People (+65) "/* Nicknames */"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
that's quite a hack
#
tantek
whereas without the redirect, the link turns into a red create link
#
tantek
same reason I created [[irc/today]]
#
KevinMarks2
Tantek re slack, I'm using it with Parzival and Known - handy as a non public alternative to irc+wiki
#
tantek
KevinMarks2: I don't believe the +wiki part
#
aaronpk
I just use private IRC servers : )
#
bnvk
hrm, does my IRC avatar need to be a certain size?
#
aaronpk
no, just a square
#
aaronpk
it caches the user list for like 5 minutes tho
#
KevinMarks2
It isn't the wiki itself, but integrates with gdocs
#
tantek
bnvk - you have signed up for an IndieWebCamp event before right?
#
bnvk
yah, I don't remember that caching anything though
#
KevinMarks2
Which is easier than a wiki for non geek editors
#
tantek
lol "integrates with gdocs" why would anyone ever want to do that (integrate with sluggish software)
#
bnvk
it used to JustWork®
#
aaronpk
bnvk: the irc logs cache the irc-people page
#
KevinMarks2
Maybe should integrate with quip
#
tantek
bnvk - event sign-ups had a simple square icon
#
tantek
same one works for IRC
#
bnvk
tantek: yah, that's what I added, my same image
#
KevinMarks2
But where they are coming from is emailing MSFT office docs around so need to provide on boarding
#
bnvk
aaronpk: super cool making IRC nicer though :)
#
tantek
KevinMarks2: why not skip the gdocs step
#
bnvk
ah there we go- yay a picture!
#
Loqi
giggles
#
bnvk
the /today page is quickly approaching a stylish modern chat app that *could* be valued at $N Billion
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i feel like we should add KevinMarks2 to irc-people as we see the clone enough
#
tantek
bnvk see previous discussion today comparing it to /Slack ;)
#
cweiske
is the people icon fetched from h-card?
manny__ joined the channel
#
KevinMarks2
True Ben, that's what I end up with on tablet
#
tantek
cweiske ideally it would be, however for now it's fetched from /irc-people
#
tantek
which does provide it an h-card, though I'm assuming you meant fetched from an h-card *on your site*
#
aaronpk
well it's fetching from *an* h-card
#
aaronpk
but yes what tantek said
#
bnvk
aaronpk: is the Today interface code open somewhere?
#
cweiske.de
edited /IRC_People (+71) "/* Nicknames */"
(view diff)
#
bnvk
gets out his fork
#
cweiske
it does not like my image
#
aaronpk
see previous comment about caching
#
bnvk
cweiske: hehe, it just takes a few minutes to update- I just pestered them :)
#
cweiske
nah. the wiki page already
#
cweiske
doesn't show the icon
#
aaronpk
hm yes that is odd...
#
cweiske
maybe it does not like the ?
#
cweiske
in the url
#
aaronpk
I didn't think it really cared about the string at all
#
tantek
aaronpk only when direct embedding the image just as a URL, then the wiki cares about the URL having an image file extension.
#
aaronpk
yeah this is going into an img tag
#
tantek
but the sparkline template uses img tag
#
aaronpk
so it shouldn't care
#
tantek
so that *should* work, so I'm stumped
#
aaronpk
and the only magic is the {{#if thing which I thought only looked to see if the string was empty
#
aaronpk
unless the template expansion {{{4}}} is breaking the "if" because of the ?
#
tantek.com
edited /navigation (+1467) "add levels, indieweb examples for level 2, link to indiemark"
(view diff)
#
cweiske.de
edited /IRC_People (-6) "/* Nicknames */"
(view diff)
#
cweiske
without the ? it works
#
aaronpk
bah mediawiki
#
tantek
Do you have navigation by prev/next, by month, and/or by tags on your personal site? add yourself to indieweb examples in the respective level here: http://indiewebcamp.com/navigation
#
tantek.com
edited /navigation (+24) "posts, just"
(view diff)
#
jonathantneal.com
edited /IRC_People (+63) "/* Nicknames */"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
oh dear probably did not match those properly for the logs
#
cweiske.de
edited /navigation (+115) "/* Level 4 */ add myself"
(view diff)
caseorganic joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /navigation (+355) "/* Tantek */ add screenshots"
(view diff)
#
cweiske
tantek, did you add a {{t}} template for yourself?
#
cweiske
or is that generic for all users?
#
tantek
a bunch of us started adding shortcut templates like that for convenience
#
tantek
convention of using irc/twitter nick
#
tantek
often used when RSVPing to /events
#
tantek.com
edited /webactions (+99) "/* Tantek */ note update of wording"
(view diff)
bigbluehat_, Hodgestar, krendil and bnvk joined the channel
bnvk joined the channel
#
jonathantneal.com
edited /User:Jonathantneal.com (+56) "/* Jonathan Neal */"
(view diff)
#
jonathantneal.com
edited /User:Jonathantneal.com (-3) "/* Jonathan Neal */"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /sign-in-use-cases (+289) "/* show personal info */ indieweb example, considering for IndieMark, consider expanding to its own page"
(view diff)
#
bear.im
edited /IRC_People (+40) "add image"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /Twitter (+426) "/* History */ add a found screenshot from 2011"
(view diff)
#
bear
generates a log entry to test image
#
aaronpk
is gonna have to reconsider the 5-minute cache
#
bear
I can come back in 5 minutes
#
bear
my main problem is finding an image that is cropped but has enough beard showing ;)
caseorga_ joined the channel
#
tantek
welcome caseorga_ ! add an image for yourself to /irc-people so it shows up in the logs!
#
bear
✓ add image to irc people list
caseorga_ joined the channel
#
GWG
We have pictures now?
#
bear
yea, the log page is very nifty looking
#
GWG
When did that happen?
#
tantek
today
#
GWG
I reconfigured my test server over the weekend as I migrated it to Florida. It now has better SSL settings than my site.
#
GWG
That seems wrong
#
tantek
makes sense, get things working on a test server first
#
bear
yea, that should be considered normal
#
ShaneHudson
I need to sort out SSL on my site. I have a cert for .co.uk but my primary domain is .net lol
#
GWG
It kept going down, so I moved to a new provider... and CentOS 7 is out..
#
GWG
I can't play as much on mu production server. I have tenants
#
tantek
what is CentOS?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for that yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=CentOS
npdoty joined the channel
#
tantek
(so good)
#
GWG
That is new too
#
KartikPrabhu
ok so Loqi will say "we don't have a page" even if questions are not meant for Loqi
#
ShaneHudson
what is Loqi?
#
aaronpk
yes but only if the message actually starts with "what is"
#
tantek
wiki all the things!
#
KartikPrabhu
what is this?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for that yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=this
#
ShaneHudson
what is a computer?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for that yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=computer
#
aaronpk
oh come on guys
#
GWG
What is overkill?
#
ShaneHudson
Aww, it needs to check Wikipedia if IWC doesn't have it :D
#
aaronpk
iiiii don't know about that
#
shanehudson.net
edited /IRC_People (+35) "/* Nicknames */"
(view diff)
#
shanehudson.net
edited /IRC_People (-1) "/* Nicknames */"
(view diff)
#
GWG
So, what is the next big thing?
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /Loqi (+17) "add loqi home page"
(view diff)
scor joined the channel
#
KevinMarks2
The logs are now officially more legible than my irc client
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /Loqi (+31) "add explicit p-summary markup"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
mine too
#
aaronpk
and easier to find things to click
#
GWG
I have a bit of trouble on my phone
#
aaronpk
just realized twitter is embedding the text of a tweet if you include a tweet URL in another tweet
#
aaronpk
compare the Loqi output of this to what you see on the web https://twitter.com/TranscribeTeam/status/499602633125265409
#
aaronparecki.com
uploaded /File:twitter-embedded-tweet.png "https://twitter.com/TranscribeTeam/status/499602633125265409<blockquote>@caseorganic Amber, we transcribe technical interviews quite often. https://www.transcribeteam.com/ Here's a review of us: https://twitter.com/jo_liss/status/474127404865429504</blockquote>"
#
kevinmarks.com
edited /IRC_People (+85) "/* Nicknames */ add kevinmarks2"
(view diff)
#
KartikPrabhu
gRegor`: still 18:30 at The Living Room yes?
#
npdoty
whoa, you can like individual lines of the IRC log?
#
KartikPrabhu
npdoty: you can like anything that has a permalink :)
#
tantek
npdoty you can like any URL
#
tantek
ben_thatmustbeme: displays likes of his homepage, *on* his homepage
#
tantek
hmm. perhaps that should be added to /homepage
#
npdoty
right, I think my actual surprise was that the IRC logs had separate URLs for every line of the log
#
kylewm
tantek: so does KevinMarks
#
aaronpk
you guyyysss are making me want to do all the things
#
KevinMarks2
It's the pre fragmention way, make lotsa links
#
tantek
I don't think the IRC logs display likes per line of log though
#
ShaneHudson
I quite like the way it only shows some, has anyone done that with fragmention? Hide most of the other lines?
#
aaronpk
irc logs don't show any mentions yet
#
kylewm
aaronpk: still taking irc log suggestions offline? I was going to ask about moving <img> inside the h-card
#
aaronpk
i don't even know where I'd put that in the page
#
aaronpk
kylewm: yes plz offline. working on other things now :)
#
tantek
imagines a <3 next to each # in the log
#
tantek
<action do=like with=(IRC-log-line-permalink)>&lt;3</action>
#
aaronpk
what about displaying existing likes?
#
npdoty.name
edited /IRC_People (+78) "/* Nicknames */ adding myself. P.S. this is awesome."
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
alos holy crap how am i gonna query that... that's a lot of URLs to check for webmentions for
tecgirl joined the channel
#
tantek
caching caching always caching
#
kylewm
npdoty: you can also send webmentions *from* the IRC logs
#
npdoty
wait, what? by including a URL in an IRC message?
#
KevinMarks2
Can the web based irc get these upgrades, or is that hosted by freenode?
lukebrooker joined the channel
#
aaronpk
that's freenode
#
aaronpk
don't tempt me to set up our own web irc gateway
#
tantek
wonders what the protocol is for freenode's web UI -> IRC
#
tantek
aaronpk - you mean like a web UI to IRC that uses IndieAuth for sign-in and then uses your nickname from /irc-people accordingly?
#
kylewm
shudders
caseorganic joined the channel
#
aaronpk
staaaahhhp!
caseorganic joined the channel
#
KevinMarks2
While you're hacking it, can you please add a "next" link to the footer for when reading through old pages
#
aaronpk
not hacking it anymore :) plz us gh-issues
#
bear
freenode uses what I use for irc->web - a python (twisted) package called qwebirc
#
techlifeweb
Glad for the web client. Can't get my irc client around the firewall at work.
#
tantek.com
created /this (+574) "stub"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
oh no you didn't
#
tantek
blames KartikPrabhu.
#
tantek.com
created /THIS (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
created /This (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
created /This. (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
KevinMarks2
I use a chrome app for irc too
#
tantek.com
created /THIS. (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
created /this: (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
created /This: (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
created /THIS: (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /lulz (+11) "This."
(view diff)
#
KevinMarks2
So we need to parse u-this now?
#
tantek
KevinMarks2: no, u-this-of and only once we have real world examples
#
tantek
so if you want to show the number of "Thisses" your post(s) have received
#
tantek
suspects that were benwerd around he would be very strongly tempted to add "This." posts to Known.
#
tantek
also suspects that "This." posts in Known could be quite popular.
#
techlifeweb
KevinMarks2: Don't know why I hadn't thought of looking for a chrome app. Which one are you using?
#
tantek
"This." for when a like or repost just doesn't say how strongly you feel about it.
#
KevinMarks2
CIRC it's called
#
tantek
puts away the marketing copy for now.
#
ShaneHudson
I am so confused.
#
kylewm
haha, my impression is that benwerd is trying desperately to find features to remove from Known
#
tantek
kylewm: are you saying he might axe the chickens?
#
aaronpk
facepalm
#
KevinMarks2
It occasionally has problems reconnecting
#
kylewm
tantek: old chicken posts are already blank on werd.io :(
#
tantek
kylewm: at least the POSSE tweet copy survives: https://twitter.com/benwerd/status/482945735738937345
#
@benwerd
Chicken! CHICKEN. CHICKEN. Chicken! Chicken? Chicken! Chicken! CHICKEN. Chicken! Chicken! Chicken? Chicken! .. http://werd.io/2014/untitled-10
(twtr.io/nvL3B1LFvk)
#
tantek
of course now that Twitter allows up to four photos per tweet...
caseorga_ and benwerd joined the channel
#
kylewm
reply context on that one is interesting ^
#
Loqi
benwerd: tantek left you a message on 8/4 at 8:06pm: I confirmed location for /events/2014-08-13-homebrew-website-club - smaller room @MozSF: http://indiewebcamp.com/events/2014-08-13-homebrew-website-club#Where - could you post an Indie event and FB POSSE copy?
#
Loqi
benwerd: kylewm left you a message 1 day ago: could you create a HWC event + FB copy pretty please?
#
benwerd
will do that right now
#
kylewm
(sorry benwerd, didn't realize you had already been !told)
#
benwerd
usually needs to be !told seven or eight times, to be fair ;)
#
benwerd
Also, re-putting out feelers: IndieWebCamp Washington DC in November. Both education & government people in attendance. Anyone here up for that?
#
bear
sign me up for that
#
tantek
benwerd - I'd be, pending conflicts
#
aaronpk
wow so many indiewebcamps
#
aaronpk
I probably can't make it, but can participate remotely
#
tantek
aaronpk - exponential year over year growth rate!
#
tantek
need that for IPO
#
aaronpk
and can provide some sponsorship from esri
#
KevinMarks2
Up and to the right 📈
#
benwerd
Jim Groom, the potential organizer, wants to link up to someone from IWC - Tantek, should I connect him with you?
#
tantek.com
edited /this (+132) "similar to a repost as well, emojicon"
(view diff)
#
tantek
benwerd - you're someone from IWC :)
#
tantek.com
created /👇 (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
benwerd
Understood :) Will get that going!
#
aaronpk
the emoji page names are a little bit ridiculous lol
caseorganic joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /possible_events (+302) "dfn, see also"
(view diff)
scor joined the channel
#
tantek
aaronpk I believe you meant s/a little bit ridiculous/fun per /principles :)
#
tantek.com
created /fun (+18) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /principles (+4) "/* Key Principles */ linky"
(view diff)
#
aaronpk
indeed
#
tantek.com
created /apophenia (+35) "r"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /lulz (+16) "/* Local */ /apophenia"
(view diff)
#
shanehudson.net
edited /possible_events (+98) "/* Paris 2014 */"
(view diff)
#
benwerd
tantek & kylewm: events are online
Acidnerd joined the channel
#
aaronpk
think it might just be me in pdx tonight. I did not do any recruiting this week
#
aaronpk
bret: you coming tonight?
#
tantek
hmm - just found a bug in my RSVP code
#
kylewm
benwerd: thanks for posting the event, sorry for sending you several wm's ... i only meant to send them to bridgy-publish
#
tantek
my rsvp code was errantly dependent on pre-POSSEing oops. fixed.
jacus joined the channel
#
@andigalpern
Tonight I'm headed to @MozSF for the #Homebrew web meetup with @t @karaem. Starts at 5:30pm - 7:30pm. Details at http://indiewebcamp.com/events/2014-08-13-homebrew-website-club
(twtr.io/pa2hA1ekGp)
awolf, wolftune and caseorganic joined the channel
#
tantek
thanks benwerd!
gRegor` joined the channel
#
tantek
if I ever make a "pro" version of /Falcon, "This." posts may have to be one of the distinguishing features.
#
tantek.com
created /this_post (+18) "r"
(view diff)
paulcp, KartikPrabhu, snarfed, mdik and pauloppenheim joined the channel
#
gRegor`
Now do we need a "First!" page?
#
gRegor`
won't make it
#
KartikPrabhu
what is First?
#
tantek
gRegor`: hey I provided TWO ciations for /This
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for "First" yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=First
#
tantek
including one from a reputable mainstream media source
#
gRegor`
Citation for "First!"? All of Youtube.
#
aaronpk
and slashdot
#
tantek
I don't think I've seen an indieweb "First!" comment yet (made on another indieweb post)...
#
tantek
"the first federated First!"
#
KartikPrabhu
has a "This" been made on the indieweb
#
tantek
aaronpk, that actually has content "It worked!"
#
aaronpk
i said "close" :-)
#
tantek
KartikPrabhu: pretty sure I've seen "This." blog posts
#
tantek
and Tumblr posts
#
KartikPrabhu
shakes head
#
tantek
speaking of
#
gRegor`
I think it's hilarious there's a whole article about "THIS."
#
tantek
what is smh?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for "smh" yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=smh
#
gRegor`
(The New Republic article)
#
gRegor`
What is u-dislike-of?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for "u-dislike-of" yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=u-dislike-of
#
kylewm
aaronpk: that's more of a "Mr. Watson come here, I want you" than a First :)
#
kylewm
what is FTFY?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for "FTFY" yet. Would you like to create it? http://indiewebcamp.com/wiki/index.php?action=edit&title=FTFY
#
gRegor`
KartikPrabhu suggested u-dislike-of
#
tantek
might have broken something
#
tantek
hey kylewm I tested what happens when you sign-in to Falcon using some other twitter auth: https://twitter.com/indiewebcamp/status/499701078800474113
#
Loqi
[@indiewebcamp] going to Homebrew Website Club 18:30 @MozSF. Join us!
#
kylewm
tantek: oh! fascinating ... I saw that tweet, wondered how you did it
#
kylewm
call it a feature
#
aaronpk
lol facebook unsupportedbrowser
#
bret
!tell barnabywalters What is the code parameter in the querystring that taproot sends to micropub endpoints?
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell him that when I see him next
#
techlifeweb
Speaking of all these definitions, did you guys see this? Twitter testing "translating" hashtags http://mashable.com/2014/08/01/twitter-translated-explained-hashtags/