#indiewebcamp 2016-06-10

2016-06-10 UTC
KevinMarks1 joined the channel
#
tantek
kylewm: I'm trying to remember if I have and am having trouble recalling
#
KevinMarks1
looks like only 2 restaurants now https://www.westfield.com/sanfrancisco/food/under-the-dome
#
tantek
probably worth a scouting mission
#
[kylewm]
cool, it is not a long walk
#
@indiewebcamp
@misuba right! Open-ended questions are much more fruitfully discussed in person, hence continued encouragement to bring it up at HWC! ^@t
(twitter.com/_/status/741061219075821570)
[benatwork] joined the channel
#
[benatwork]
I’ll head over in a bit
#
tantek
head over where?
#
tantek
Internet Archive?
xavierroy joined the channel
#
[benatwork]
the mall :wink:
uranther joined the channel
#
aaronpk
you won't be sorry!
CaptainCalliope and bergie joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-09-dwebsummit-indieweb (+243) "/* Photos */ add better photo from @lightcoin"
(view diff)
ramsey joined the channel
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "Homebrew Website Club PDX" http://calagator.org/events/1250470414
#
aaronpk
wow that was fast
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell him that when I see him next
nitot joined the channel
#
@indiewebcamp
@misuba right! Open-ended questions are much more fruitfully discussed in person, hence continued encouragement to bring it up at HWC! ^@t
(twitter.com/_/status/741061219075821570)
[shaners] joined the channel
#
Loqi
[shaners]: aaronpk left you a message 21 minutes ago: venue posted for HWC next week! https://indiewebcamp.com/events/2016-06-15-homebrew-website-club http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-06-09/line/1465518459134
#
@jimpick
At the #DWebSummit, @schnarfed gave a lightning talk about the Indieweb and Tantek wrote some notes /cc @t http://tantek.com/2016/161/t1/great-indieweb-lightning-talk
(twitter.com/_/status/741070004632752131)
#
[shaners]
thanks apk
#
[shaners]
aaronpk: where should I RSVP to?
#
aaronpk
wiki is probably easiest
#
aaronpk
maybe we can talk about ideas for the new event site next week :)
[kylewm] joined the channel
#
[kylewm]
I love that this repository has 7 commits https://github.com/aaronpk/Slack-IRC-Gateway
#
[shaners]
aaronpk: sounds grood
#
[kylewm]
aaronpk: wondering if you’d be interested in help briding multiple channels
#
aaronpk
[kylewm]: sure! the other thing it's missing is getting messages from IRC to slack. it only does slack to IRC (which is harder anyway)
#
[kylewm]
confused, isn’t it already sending messages from IRC to slack?
#
[kylewm]
or do you mean across multiple channels?
mlncn joined the channel
#
aaronpk
no, Loqi is doing that part
#
Loqi
woot!
#
[kylewm]
Loqi++ lol
#
Loqi
Loqi has 401 karma
#
[kylewm]
love his interjections
#
aaronpk
the way we're doing IRC to Slack is also somewhat indiewebcamp specific since it uses the irc-people page to look up peoples' avatars to post to slack
nitot, KevinMarks and colintedford joined the channel
#
gregorlove.com
edited /events/2016-06-15-homebrew-website-club (+475) "Let's try a meetup in Bellingham!"
(view diff)
Lancey joined the channel
#
colintedford.com
edited /featured (+191) "/* Why */ album cover"
(view diff)
#
@gRegorLove
Hey, Bellingham, want to work on your personal website? Come on out to Homebrew Website Club next Wednesday! https://indiewebcamp.com/events/2016-06-15-homebrew-website-club
(twitter.com/_/status/741082143447613440)
#
colintedford.com
edited /audio (+52) "/* How */ album cover as featured"
(view diff)
#
colintedford.com
edited /audio (+17) "/* See Also */ collection"
(view diff)
aliasd, KevinMarks and leg joined the channel
#
KartikPrabhu
there foes gRegorLove... starting another HWC
#
KartikPrabhu
s/foes/goes
#
Loqi
KartikPrabhu meant to say: there goes gRegorLove... starting another HWC
KevinMarks joined the channel
#
Loqi
Just generated the first draft of this week's newsletter! http://indiewebcamp.com/this-week/2016-06-10.html I'll generate a draft again tomorrow, so please add to it before then! http://indiewebcamp.com/this-week#How_to
nitot joined the channel
#
aaronpk
whoops where'd the events go!
#
gRegorLove
KartikPrabhu: inspired by IWC and gotta keep the momentum going :)
#
KartikPrabhu
of course! excelsior!
#
KartikPrabhu
is there really a need to make up names like <stuff>-mention for everything?
#
KartikPrabhu
adds a lot of jargon to indiweb discussion
#
GWG
KartikPrabhu: That is common everywhere.
#
GWG
How about <>-gate?
#
KartikPrabhu
and a hindrance to ease of access
#
KartikPrabhu
everyone does it != we should do it
#
KartikPrabhu
also journalism is the worst example to follow
#
KartikPrabhu
in this regard
#
GWG
KartikPrabhu: I'm not defending it
#
GWG
I'm referring to a human tendency.
mblaney joined the channel
#
mblaney
sorry KartikPrabhu, just a bit of fun from yesterday.
#
KartikPrabhu
mblaney: no need to apologise. I understand making names for fun, but then they stick
#
KartikPrabhu
I am still not over "salmentions"
#
mblaney
(inessential weirdness, if you will.)
#
mblaney
I think salmentions grates too, but a marketeer might say that's a good quality?
#
KartikPrabhu
and soon people trying to get into the indieweb have to deal with "credmention", "salmention", "webmention" over and above, "POSSE", "PESOS"
nitot joined the channel
#
mblaney
you're a physicist yeah? are you unhappy with the number of words used to describe sub-atomic particles? ;-)
#
KartikPrabhu
but names of particles are not associated with any meaning/distiction
#
GWG
I remember a fictional character commenting once, I forget the context...that humans aren't happy until we've given something a name and defined it, given it boundaries.
#
KartikPrabhu
so that is a strawman
#
gregorlove.com
edited /2016/StaticPOSSE (+2432) "etherpad dump, dfn"
(view diff)
#
KartikPrabhu
but yes, lately in physics there is a trend of assigning "punny" names to things which is just as ridiculous. But no one who is starting out needs to know the jargon, since textbooks lay it out slowly
#
KartikPrabhu
so if you want to write a "beginners how-to" for the indieweb then make-up all the names
#
KartikPrabhu
yes and the wiki does not count, since the wiki does not have any hierarchy for things to know
#
KartikPrabhu
anyway that is my rant about nomenclature... will stop now on this topic
#
gregorlove.com
edited /2016/StaticPrivatePosts (+1469) "dfn, etherpad dump"
(view diff)
#
mblaney
it's a good rant :-) and you're right that throwing names around can be a cultural problem, even if we can't help assigning names to ideas.
#
mblaney
there has been good discussion around culture here recently, hopefully it does translate to welcoming, simple language as the first point of contact for newcomers.
nitot joined the channel
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I'm now POSSEing my site http://boffosocko.com to Medium https://medium.com/@chrisaldrich #IndieWeb" by Chris Aldrich http://stream.boffosocko.com/2016/ive-been-meaning-to-do-it-for-a-while-but
#
@ChrisAldrich
I've been meaning to do it for a while, but I'm now POSSEing my site http://boffosocko.com to Medium https://medium.com/@chrisaldrich #IndieWeb
(twitter.com/_/status/741120850749968384)
[chrisaldrich] joined the channel
#
[chrisaldrich]
good evening!
#
GWG
Hello, [chrisaldrich]
#
GWG
[chrisaldrich]: Any news?
#
KartikPrabhu
[chrisaldrich]: sent you a webmention from https://kartikprabhu.com/notes/re-webmention-books some days ago. Doesn't seem to have shown up on the original post
#
Loqi
[Kartik Prabhu] I have worked a bit on combining webmention and annotations/marginalia. You might be interested in the post about it: https://kartikprabhu.com/articles/marginalia
#
[chrisaldrich]
Kartik: Thanks for the comment on the bookmention/highlight post the other day. I think it was actually your original post and one from Kevin Marks that started me down the rabbit hole so many months ago.
#
[chrisaldrich]
@Kartik: It's still in my unapproved comment queue to force me to remember to get back to you!
#
KartikPrabhu
aah! I see cool
#
[chrisaldrich]
I have lots of academic friends who do work in incunnabula and marginalia so the topic interests me and I think there's a good bit of overlap with webmention and indieweb principles.
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: i think I
#
[chrisaldrich]
m still decompressing from the weekend honestly
#
GWG
[chrisaldrich]: Me too. Got stuck at PDX for most the night.
#
[chrisaldrich]
I have so many itches that have popped up I'm still spending time trying to tease them all apart into bite sized chunks
#
GWG
[chrisaldrich]: Well, I'm still working through improving webmentions. But there isn't much flashy there right now.
#
[chrisaldrich]
And of course work hasn't complied with allowing me the free time...
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: even some of the small examples I saw you toying around with seemed to be nice little improvements moving forward.
#
[chrisaldrich]
It also sounded like there was some good in-person discussion to move the whole WP indieweb community forward fairly significantly.
#
[chrisaldrich]
Kartik: I noticed Kevin Marks pushed webmention on the hypothes.is camp today. I'd mentioned it to them a while back and am hoping they'll implement it soon.
#
KartikPrabhu
yeah that would be good. But I am still apprehensive about hypothesis reproducing the whole website as is
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: I've also onboarded a few friends/colleagues into the indieweb WP camp in the past weeks. They're primarily Gen3 and I'm doing some handholding in the early days/weeks, but I was curious to hear some general feedback from the "masses"
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, the Indieweb plugin now has a cleaner design we can iterate on.
#
GWG
The webmention plugin will be rewritten to specification and much more robust than the current iteration. It shows progress
#
[chrisaldrich]
I'm more worried about Genius.com in terms of their philosophy rather than hypothes.is which has more altruistic visions in my opinion.
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: the IndieWeb plugins new iteration is really much slicker looking now. I like that it's moved itself one menu level up where it more rightly deserves to be on one's dashboard.
#
KartikPrabhu
[chrisaldrich]: but "cloning" someone's website to display thrid-party comments seems nefariously misleading on both genius.com and hypothes.is
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, and Syndication Links and Post Kinds move their settings under it when enabled.
#
[chrisaldrich]
Kartik: The Genius-gate hubub a few weeks back with the sex blogger was certainly eyeopening; I would hope that putting in webmention directly so that the owner of the site or page is at least aware of the third-party comments would help mitigate some of the issue.
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: I haven't seen any other quirky issues this week since your last round of updates, so it would appear things are humming along well again.
#
KartikPrabhu
[chrisaldrich]: all of that depends on whether, the platform is kind enough to send you webmentions about annotations, and remove them if you don't want them
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: I'm sure I missed some interesting pieces by not being there in person. What would you say was the coolest thing you saw over the weekend?
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, I usually test more, but I was at the Summit and was feeling motivation
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, interesting question
#
[chrisaldrich]
@KartikPrabhu: they certainly need to be able to give site owners some additional lee-way. I've been thinking about how to better allow that, though no brilliant flashes for it have yet developed.
#
aaronparecki.com
edited /2016 (+107) "add photo"
(view diff)
#
GWG
I'm not sure I can think of one. Disappointed that I missed some of the IndieMark discussion setting up the other feed.
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: breaking things isn't always the worst... small fast iteration can be useful sometimes.
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, I really want to finish the core work on Webmentions and return to Simple Location. I was halfway through a major rewrite in December
#
[chrisaldrich]
I don't think I'd noticed until an hour ago, but kylewm works at Medium?! I know they added @mentions on their platform a few months back, but (and I'll say this sotto voce) why not add webmention? It could be the killer app for such a platform....
#
KartikPrabhu
i don't think kylewm works at Medium
#
GWG
He recently changed jobs.
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: What were you basing Simple Location on? Was there underlying location platform you were using?
#
[chrisaldrich]
Hmm... maybe he just hasn't changed his byline on medium then as it still lists him as there: https://medium.com/@kylewm/indieweb-summit-2016-b9e438fc0087#.vr5firxub
#
KartikPrabhu
oh! then maybe he does work there
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: I've been playing around with some location tools in conjunction with OwnYourGram and OwnYourCheckin to use the location data they throw to show maps on those related pages.
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, I originally used OpenStreetMap, currently using a combination of that and Google Maps. Need to finish support for multiple data sources
#
[chrisaldrich]
I haven't found anything brilliant I love yet...
#
GWG
But it stores the data locally. The rewrite is based on the Post Kinds rewrite of Last year
#
miklb
[chrisaldrich] I threw together a static map from the OYG data using mapbox. Want to revisit for a diy checkin tool later.
#
[chrisaldrich]
I know Known uses OpenStreetMap too. Have you looked at how they've coded things up as an example? You may also be able to recycle some code from there...
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, I am just not happy with the current version and want to finish the repairs.
#
GWG
I redesigned the interface before I took a break to work on other projects.
#
GWG
But the new version relies on taxonomy meta and I didn't finish that.
#
[chrisaldrich]
I saw an interesting German map company that made maps with URL based strings, but I can't seem to find it at the moment... something I found on GitHub recently...
#
aaronpk
like google static maps?
#
GWG
chrisaldrich, if you find interesting sources, the map provider is pluggable. I would just have to implement an interface.
#
[chrisaldrich]
something like that, though I haven't played around as much with them... though google is probably a better long term "vendor" than the one I'd seen....
#
aaronpk
i wrote a wrapper for static maps that i can use to plug in any map provider. check out the bottom of https://atlas.p3k.io/
#
GWG
aaronpk, I added Atlas to my list of things to support.
#
[chrisaldrich]
I'm still also trying to figure out a better workflow for Instagram and Foursquare related posts, both of which take in location data. Between OYG and OwnYourCheckin there can be some redundancies and duplicate posting between POSSE/PESOS strategies.
#
aaronpk
do you often add a photo to your foursquare checkin as well as post it to instagram?
#
GWG
On that note, need rest
#
GWG
Night
#
[chrisaldrich]
If it were easier, I'd post photos to foursquare more often and cross post to instagram.
#
[chrisaldrich]
GWG: good night
#
Loqi
sweet dreams
#
[chrisaldrich]
Lately I've been relying on Known for foursquare POSSE, but the interface (particularly for mobile) isn't conducive to posting photos with it.
#
[chrisaldrich]
with OwnYourCheckin, the photo handling is much nicer
#
aaronpk
i really need to start using ownyourcheckin, lol
#
[chrisaldrich]
Then there's always the issue of reformatting photos to work with/look nicely on Instagram...
#
[chrisaldrich]
Perhaps if there was a unification between OwnYourGram and OwnYourCheckin to handle both Instagram and foursquare simultaneously???
#
aaronpk
ownyourcheckin is a fork of ownyourgram...
#
[chrisaldrich]
I know; might hope that would make things easier somehow...
#
[chrisaldrich]
Has anyone set up a workflow to POSSE to Foursquare from WordPress?
#
[chrisaldrich]
We'll have to build it in to GWG's simple location when he's done...
[kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
[kevinmarks]
Hm, does micropub syndication targets need a post type filter?
#
[kevinmarks]
Known will posse checkins to Swarm, and audio to soundcloud, but micropub UI doesn't know that and only offers what is suitable for articles
#
aaronpk
that gets tricky since "post type" is not actually well defined or agreed upon
#
kylewm
Yeah impedance mismatch there between known and micropub
#
aaronpk
you'd have to do it by the list of properties the post is trying to create rather than explicit post types, since we don't have a fixed list of post types
#
aaronpk
the micropub client could say "I'm going to create a post with these properties: content, photo, name" and then the micropub server would return the list of syndication targets it can post that content to
#
[kevinmarks]
Right, that makes more sense
tantek joined the channel
#
aaronpk
okay *whew* just finished cleaning up the recent events for /this-week!
#
[kevinmarks]
Known's post types are a handy shortcut, but not being able to check in with a photo etc is a bit tricky
#
aaronpk
this is looking good! http://indiewebcamp.com/this-week/2016-06-10.html anyone want to submit more posts to indienews?
#
[chrisaldrich]
kevinmarks, I saw your twitter nod earlier with hypothes.is regarding webmentions. Based on your exchange, how likely do you think it is that they'll implement it?
#
miklb
aaronpk for some reason when I added a css change for my user account, it now lists that page under New members
#
miklb
looks like a couple of other users are showing up there too
#
aaronpk
Ugh yeah. Cause some peoples URLs have a path in them
#
aaronpk
im gonna have to explicitly blacklist URLs ending in .css huh
#
Loqi
[indienews] New post: "IndieWeb Summit 2016 discussion day" https://kylewm.com/2016/06/indieweb-summit-2016-discussion-day
#
[kevinmarks]
I need to follow up, but it makes sense.
#
[kevinmarks]
I wonder if they'd send a fragmention url
wolftune and j12t joined the channel
#
boffosocko.com
edited /FAQ (+111) "/* How do I export my data */ FreeYourStuff.cc"
(view diff)
KevinMarks joined the channel
#
[chrisaldrich]
kevinmarks: I had pinged the hypothes.is gang back in March sometime regarding the Ella Dawson brouhaha. Adding webmentions could go a long way for providing people with notifications for being marked up: http://boffosocko.com/2016/04/07/webmentions-for-improving-annotation-and-preventing-bullying-on-the-web/
#
miklb
aaronpk I white listed indieauth & github in Fluid, getting invalid state error. Any suggestions on what else I could white list or should I give up :)
#
miklb
^for using with Quill
#
miklb
set to allow any URL and still getting error. This time "missing authorization code" seems Fluid can not handle the redirects with the payload (for lack of a better term)
Pierre-O joined the channel
wolcen_ joined the channel
nitot and j12t_ joined the channel
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "Excellent summary of #DWebSummit challenges & opportunities by @granteb @Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/building-first-amendment-web-and-other-hopes-internets-future-468597
#
@jkphl
Putting the #IndieWeb into context — wish I could have attended #DWebSummit. https://twitter.com/indiewebcamp/status/741162999046606848
(twitter.com/_/status/741163512832090113)
loic_m and KevinMarks joined the channel
#
tantek
!tell shaners is there a square version of the new logo, e.g. on a white background, suitable for using as icons in various places like twitter.com/indiewebcamp ?
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell him that when I see him next
KevinMarks_, Duty and [kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
[kevinmarks]
Hm. I wonder if you could recreate the chronological instagram feed we've lost by subscribing to ask the granary feeds of your followings
#
[kevinmarks]
s/ask/all/
#
Loqi
[kevinmarks] meant to say: Hm. I wonder if you could recreate the chronological instagram feed we've lost by subscribing to all the granary feeds of your followings
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "Andreas, I'm pretty sure my experiment with OwnYourGram was well after I updated to 0.9.2. I never worked on it further to get brid.gy to" by Chris Aldrich http://stream.boffosocko.com/2016/andreas-im-pretty-sure-my-experiment-with-ownyourgram-was-well
friedcell and KevinMarks joined the channel
#
@ChrisAldrich
If Neocities is anything like what I expect, I'm definitely going to have a website there!! https://neocities.org #oldschoolweb #indieweb
(twitter.com/_/status/741176797253902336)
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "If Neocities is anything like what I expect, I'm definitely going to have a website there!! https://neocities.org #oldschoolweb #indieweb" by Chris Aldrich http://stream.boffosocko.com/2016/if-neocities-is-anything-like-what-i-expect-im-definitely
[shaners] joined the channel
#
[shaners]
Hi, Loqi
#
Loqi
[shaners]: tantek left you a message 51 minutes ago: is there a square version of the new logo, e.g. on a white background, suitable for using as icons in various places like twitter.com/indiewebcamp ? http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-06-10/line/1465542331195
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell him that when I see him next
#
[shaners]
tantek: On a transparent bg, but I think most sites will make it a white background on upload. Let’s find out.
KevinMarks, KevinMarks_, tantek and nitot joined the channel
#
@mrkrndvs
"A lot of the #indieweb stuff is a little 2 tech 4 me but I think it's pointing 2 something important" @johnjohnston http://johnjohnston.info/blog/an-indie-wave-for-joedale/
(twitter.com/_/status/741187223572205568)
KevinMarks joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /2016 (+206) "/* Blog */ another kylewm post!"
(view diff)
[jkphl] joined the channel
#
[jkphl]
shaners: could you send me a copy for the german account as well please (or let me know where to download, preferably vector)?
#
[jkphl]
shaners: oh by the way, just read your message from february regarding the design just a couple of days ago. sorry for not having responded so far! but: awesome work, like it a lot!
friedcell and KevinMarks joined the channel
#
[jkphl]
shaners: found the SVG logo myself, sorry for bothering you! :wink:
#
tantek
jkphl++ :)
#
Loqi
jkphl has 7 karma
#
@IndieWebCampDE
Auf dem #IndieWeb Summit am Wochenende wurde das neue Design gelauncht. Der Applaus gebührt @veganstraightedge! https://github.com/indieweb/branding
(twitter.com/_/status/741191711657988096)
#
tantek.com
edited /Events (+5) "link to a page for dwebsummit since there was quite a lot indieweb there to be documented"
(view diff)
KevinMarks and arthurspooner joined the channel
#
tantek.com
created /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit (+939) "stub with summary, stub sections, list of indieweb related events"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit (+251) "u-photo with silly selfie"
(view diff)
#
GWG
Pfefferle, if you get a chance, could you look at the latest PR? That would give me the weekend for next piece?
KevinMarks joined the channel
hmans joined the channel
gmacon, KevinMarks and miklb joined the channel
#
pfefferle
GWG done, with some changes
loic_m and Pierre-O joined the channel
#
GWG
Pfefferle, I figured with this one you might.
#
GWG
pfefferle: Over the weekend....target verification before source verification.
KevinMarks joined the channel
mapkyca joined the channel
frzn joined the channel
Garbee and bigbluehat joined the channel
KevinMarks joined the channel
#
pfefferle
GWG nice... I am curious
friedcell and nitot joined the channel
loic_m and friedcell joined the channel
friedcell joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
Happy Birthday GWG
#
Zegnat
what is a birthday?
#
Loqi
A birthday is the date when someone is born, however in the context of the indieweb, it is a feature displayed on some silos' user profiles that you can (or must) enter, and some prominently present to your friends on the month and day of your birthday, like Facebook's "BIRTHDAYS THIS WEEK" feature at the top of their events page https://indiewebcamp.com/birthday
friedcell joined the channel
nitot and friedcell joined the channel
#
pfefferle
GWG made some more changes
#
kylewm
that Eran post... t
friedcell joined the channel
#
aaronpk
why is wordpresshosts tweeting the same thing again and again
#
aaronpk
oookay
#
aaronpk
!spammer wordpresshosts
#
Loqi
Got it! There are now 49 spammers blacklisted
singpolyma joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
oh yeah, i just looked at their feed
#
ben_thatmustbeme
they just do that over and over again
#
ben_thatmustbeme
with like 10 things
#
ben_thatmustbeme
I guess so its always on top of.... i don't know what
#
aaronpk
maybe someone's script got caught in a loop
leg joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i don't think so, i think thats intentional
frzn joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
singpolyma++ for this https://git.gnu.io/gnu/gnu-social/merge_requests/41/commits which i totally missed when it happened
#
Loqi
singpolyma has 10 karma
#
singpolyma
ben_thatmustbeme: :) just need to get more places to enable it / work out the bugs. which I haven't had much time for recently
#
ben_thatmustbeme
singpolyma: have you tested against webmention.rocks yet?
#
singpolyma
I'm not sure it existed at the time
#
aaronpk
oh yeah it totally didn't! that was a while ago
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i found i have a number of issues, mainly due to me not updating dependancies, thanks to it
Pierre-O, shiflett and xavierroy joined the channel
travisjo joined the channel
#
aaronpk
is "microcast" a thing now?
#
aaronpk
i like that idea. implies much less overhead than publishing a full podcast
#
Zegnat
There are a couple of them out there, aaronpk. I am subscribed to one by Manton Reece: http://timetable.manton.org
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "Microcast 2: Webmention ping-pong" by john http://johnjohnston.info/blog/microcast-2-webmention-ping-pong/
Erkan_Yilmaz, Yilmaz_Erkan, mlncn, gRegorLove and wolftune joined the channel
#
Loqi
[indienews] New post: "IndieWeb Summit Day 1" http://gregorlove.com/2016/06/indieweb-summit-day-1/
snarfed joined the channel
#
snarfed
KevinMarks: http://instagram-atom.appspot.com/ still gives you your full chronological feed! just needs your cookie to scrape since no more oauth+API :/
#
snarfed
granary supports it too, i just haven't added a cookie input box to the web UI because ick
#
@grantpotter
"This is the #indieweb equivalent of a reply on Anchor held together by #webmention." http://johnjohnston.info/blog/microcast-2-webmention-ping-pong/ via: @johnjohnston
(twitter.com/_/status/741314085816553473)
#
Loqi
[indieweb] ""This is the #indieweb equivalent of a reply on Anchor held together by #webmention." http://johnjohnston.info/blog/microcast-2-webmention-ping-pong/ via: @johnjohnston" by Grant Potter http://known.networkeffects.ca/2016/this-is-the-indieweb-equivalent-of-a-reply-on-anchor
#
KevinMarks
It gives me my consumption feed? I thought it was just the production feed
tantek joined the channel
#
tantek
good morning #indiewebcamp!
#
@kevinmarks
A raw exercise of silo power: Facebook holds your photos hostage until you install their app http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/10/facebook-forces-its-photo-sharing-app-moments-to-the-top-of-the-app-store/ #DWebSummit #indieweb
(twitter.com/_/status/741317544124899329)
#
aaronpk
that's nuts
#
PFMurph
good thing I don't use that
snarfed1 joined the channel
#
snarfed1
KevinMarks yes consumption!
#
snarfed1
granary also gives you production
#
KartikPrabhu
don't worry it is probably part of FBs "move fast, break things, then apologise" strategy
#
tantek
and yet perhaps it's ok to treat FB as a write-only copy
#
tantek
KevinMarks: hey let's make a page for your session at dwebsummit too
#
tantek
I have photos of you
KevinMarks1 joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
I am going to do a delayed action livetweet of brewster and my sessions to complete my notes
#
gregorlove.com
edited /Events (+31) "/* June */ Bellingham"
(view diff)
#
tantek
!tell aaronpk do you have archive video(s) URLs for IndieWeb Summit? Can you add them to /2016#Videos ?
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
hs0ucy joined the channel
#
aaronpk
not yet
#
KevinMarks1
they were going to add per-session offsets to the video page
#
KevinMarks1
also their photographer uploaded some shots
#
gregorlove.com
edited /2016/Offline (+976) "dfn, etherpad dump"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /2016 (+74) "/* RSVP */ rename wiki guest list, make it clear it's optional, add Lanyrd after the fact"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /2016 (+18) "/* Photos */ Videos section for aaronpk"
(view diff)
#
KevinMarks1
so granaray would need /kevinmarks/@friends/@app/[cookie] ?
#
ben.thatmustbe.me
edited /GNU_social (+202) "/* IndieWeb Compatibility */ add note of singpolyma's webmention PR"
(view diff)
#
tantek
btw re: the whole lack of owning the twitter thing, note that Vadio (where the summit was) does not own @ Vadio, nor anything listed as far as I can tell by doing a users search: https://twitter.com/search?f=users&vertical=default&q=vadio&src=typd
#
tantek
ok everyone that was IndieWeb Summit - I added it on Lanyrd - go ahead and add yourself as at least an attendee if you were there (even virtually), and add yourself as a speaker if you led a barcamp session on day 1
#
Loqi
IndieWeb Summit
#
tantek
KevinMarks I'll start a stub for your session and you can add more
#
aaronpk
speaking of twitter accounts not owned by the company you'd expect, https://twitter.com/slack
#
tantek.com
edited /Events (+70) "/* June */ link for KevinMarks's session to its own wiki page for collecting notes, slides etc."
(view diff)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
gnusocial context thread in to indieweb post. if they turn on webmention support it should work the other way too https://ben.thatmustbe.me/note/2016/6/10/2/
#
Loqi
[Ben Roberts] testing context chain for gnu social messages
#
tantek
ok well that will definitely put us at Defcon3, maybe even 2. We have to assume GNU Social is big enough that it has attracted spammers already
#
singpolyma
ben_thatmustbeme: how is that working, if his instance doesn't have the plugin enabled?
#
tantek.com
edited /Events (+4) "/* June */ helps to give KevinMarks session a different link :p"
(view diff)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
well, they didn't get the comment, but they still have mf2
#
ben_thatmustbeme
so my site processed the context just fine
#
singpolyma
oh, so you sent a manual webmention to yourself?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
no, no webmention got sent
#
ben_thatmustbeme
my site would have tried to, but it would have found no endpoint
#
singpolyma
I meant, for you receiving those posts to your site
#
singpolyma
oh. it scraped them for context!
#
singpolyma
because you replied
#
singpolyma
I understand now
#
ben_thatmustbeme
and i scrape all the way back up the chain, so i know they are using u-in-reply-to correctly
#
ben_thatmustbeme
singpolyma, if it sends a webmention twice it won't double the comment will it?
#
singpolyma
shouldn't
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (+17) "/* Notes */ fix day note find start"
(view diff)
wolftune joined the channel
#
singpolyma
ben_thatmustbeme: try doing a reply to https://loadaverage.org/notice/8118691
#
tantek
can someone find the start of the video for KevinMarks session at DWebSummit and fix the link here accordingly? https://indiewebcamp.com/events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer#Video
#
aaronpk
i posted it in IRC yesterday
#
tantek
similarly, can someone find the start of the IRC notes for KevinMarks's session on https://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-06-08 and fix the link here? https://indiewebcamp.com/events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer#Notes
#
snarfed
KevinMarks: sorry, granary REST doesn't support cookie scraping yet, only the library and instagram-atom
#
snarfed
happy to merge a PR or add it though!
begriffs joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
that photo shows how illegible the onscreen twitter handle were
#
KevinMarks1
I mean, I probably do need new glasses, but the contrast was really low
#
ben_thatmustbeme
hmm, singpolyma, i think i have a problem in finding the webmention endpoint
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (-51) "/* Photos */ add my one photo"
(view diff)
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (+76) "dt-start, comment to update with actual time of start"
(view diff)
#
singpolyma
ben_thatmustbeme: should be in Link header
#
ben_thatmustbeme
my code fails on that it seems
#
ben_thatmustbeme
sending manually
#
aaronpk
the link header looks fine. ben_thatmustbeme did you test your sending code with webmention.rocks?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
or..... hmmm,
#
ben_thatmustbeme
Target not found
#
ben_thatmustbeme
aaronpk: yes, i failed tests 1,2,7,9,10,13,15,17
#
singpolyma
ben_thatmustbeme: I'm working on getting a test instance under my control back up, so then I can see logs. maybe a plugin bug
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i think its because i'm using really outdated libs
#
ben_thatmustbeme
it could be that it found it correctly
#
Zegnat
Just opening https://loadaverage.org/main/linkback/webmention in the browser gives me a 200 OK status, so I would assume the endpoint to be correct
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (+19) "/* Video */ better link I hope, per aaronpk from IRC two days ago"
(view diff)
#
@znmeb
@benwerd I'm trudging through the IndieWebCamp documentation at the moment ... it's really a slog
(twitter.com/_/status/741331198278963200)
#
Loqi
[Ben Roberts] Tesitng reply to a gnusocial site
#
ben_thatmustbeme
tahts what gave me the failure
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (+9) "/* Notes */ use precise start link"
(view diff)
arlen joined the channel
#
tantek
!tell gRegorLove could you archive / clean-up the notes for KevinMarks's panel here https://indiewebcamp.com/events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer#Notes like you did for snarfed's talk yesterday? Thanks!
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
tantek
I want to know what/why znmeb is "trudging"
#
@znmeb
@benwerd I managed to get IndieAuth and h-card working but tagging a post with h-entry has eluded me
(twitter.com/_/status/741331602152640512)
#
tantek
there should be no trudging
#
ben_thatmustbeme
tantek: agreed
#
tantek
@znmeb come join us in IRC and let's help you walk smoothly instead of trudging :)
#
aaronpk
it'd be a real trudge if you tried to read all the wiki pages in alphabetical order ;-)
#
tantek
sure, that's why we have navigation and things like /Getting_Started to guide people
emceeaich_ and mlncn joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit (+46) "link Kevinmarks session"
(view diff)
emceeaich_ joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (+33) "link to dwebsummit page"
(view diff)
#
KartikPrabhu
tantek: could be side-bar blindness
#
KartikPrabhu
i almost never look at the sidebars of sites anymore
#
tantek
KartikPrabhu: that's why we also link to Getting Started in the content
#
tantek
because different users navigate differently
#
singpolyma
ben_thatmustbeme: http://gnu-social-test.singpolyma.net/notice/1482 is on an instance I control, so I should be able to see if pings to that one fail. manual ping I just did from a test page worked
#
Loqi
[singpolyma] singpolyma (singpolyma@gnu-social-test.singpolyma.net)'s status on Friday, 10-Jun-2016 18:12:34 UTC
#
tantek
KartikPrabhu, right, that's for you in particular (and users like that)
#
KartikPrabhu
yes, it is hidden in the text. people might not read thoroughly. it should be more prominent
#
gRegorLove
tantek: From the video? I don't see many notes in IRC.
#
Loqi
gRegorLove: tantek left you a message 8 minutes ago: could you archive / clean-up the notes for KevinMarks's panel here https://indiewebcamp.com/events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer#Notes like you did for snarfed's talk yesterday? Thanks! http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-06-10/line/1465582179795
#
tantek
KartikPrabhu: it's easy to say something should be "more prominent" and not very useful
#
tantek
what's harder is you have to choose what else to remove or make less prominent
#
tantek
otherwise you end up with MAKE EVERYTHING BIG AND BOLD SO IT CAN BE NOTICED
#
tantek
and then nothing is
#
@kevinmarks
@znmeb have a look at indiewebify.me - that makes it easier to test. Instead of tagging @benwerd come to https://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-06-10 and chat
(twitter.com/_/status/741333979937181696)
#
tantek
let's see how long before indiewebcamp.com shows up on page 1 of google searches for decentralized web summit
#
gRegorLove
I think a graphic for "Getting Started" on the homepage could be good - similar size as the heart icon on there.
#
tantek
gRegorLove: yes that's a good suggestion, can you add to /2016/homepage ?
#
gRegorLove
Actually, it could just be a fourth icon in the light gray area.
#
ben_thatmustbeme
singpolyma: can you confirm that you got any attempt at a webmention first?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i'm not sure it did at the moment
#
gRegorLove
znmeb was there this weekend and seemed to get a lot done (adding webmention). I wonder if he just entered the wiki from a different page after all the discussions.
#
ben_thatmustbeme
if not, i'll send manually
#
ben_thatmustbeme
singpolyma: maybe we should move to #indieweb-dev, a bit noisy in here
#
tantek
gRegorLove: I think a call to action needs separate presentation from "what is this about" type stuff
#
tantek
gRegorLove: even minimal notes from KevinMark's peer to peer session would be appreciated
#
tantek
even if you have to ellipsize "..." whole lines between parts
#
tantek
there's plenty enough in IRC for that - I linked to the start already from the page
#
KartikPrabhu
if the wiki were my own site i would put "home, getting started, discuss, FAQ, search" in some main navigation bar on the top
#
tantek
KartikPrabhu: great - that a concrete suggestion and helpful. add it to /2016/homepage please!
hs0ucy joined the channel
#
tantek.com
edited /Events (+14) "/* June */ better url"
(view diff)
#
gregorlove.com
edited /2016/homepage (+201) "/* Issues */ getting started graphic, chat log link"
(view diff)
znmeb joined the channel
#
kartikprabhu.com
edited /2016/homepage (+115) "/* Issues */ nav bar suggestion"
(view diff)
wholewheattoast joined the channel
#
znmeb
yeah ... I got to IndieAuth and webmention / brid.gy at the camp, got h-card working after the camp but am blocked on making a post with h-entry
#
znmeb
my main problem is my tooling won't give me fine-grained control of the HTML without a lot of low-level coding
#
KevinMarks1
you don't have a template layer?
#
znmeb
It's not that I *can't* do it, just that it's time-consuming yak shaving
#
tantek
welcome znmeb!
#
znmeb
I have a template layer ... but it's rather obtuse R code
#
tantek
znmeb what tooling do you use?
[kylewm] joined the channel
#
[kylewm]
znmeb: is this the Markdown publishing stuff you demoed?
#
KevinMarks1
R? The stats package?
#
gregorlove.com
edited /events/2016-06-08-dwebsummit-peer-to-peer (+91) "/* Notes */ all two lines of notes :)"
(view diff)
#
tantek
wait no
#
tantek
there's more than 2 lines of notes
#
[kylewm]
a site generator in R, going to give rrix a run for his money
#
znmeb
there's plenty of customization hooks - I know it's possible but all the base tools let you do is includes
#
KevinMarks1
actual markdown lets you inline html; does this variant block that?
#
gRegorLove
tantek: I saw 3 lines. Collapsed into two. :)
#
znmeb
no, I can inline HTML ... I was getting visible title and datestamp in the post and the title author and date were already there
#
gRegorLove
Then discussion about how we need micropub for livetweeting
#
KevinMarks1
ah, looks like you cna edit the template: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-templates/blob/master/default.html
#
znmeb
yeah ... there's Pandoc hooks, knitr hooks, rendering hooks, ...
#
KevinMarks1
so could add mf2 classes to that and send them a PR
#
KevinMarks1
I'd suggest adding the h-entry markup to the default template
#
znmeb
the way I want to do it is to have it at the highest level - I put the data in the YAML front-matter for the post and push a button, just like I do now, ratther than passing bizarre unreadable stuff to Pandoc
#
KevinMarks1
right, so if you change the template that will work
#
znmeb
This is the "right way" to do it - http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com/developer_custom_formats.html
#
KevinMarks1
but the default template having h-entry markup in would be a general benefit
halorgium joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
and it can be a simple as adding class="h-entry" on the body and p-name on the title, p-summary on the subtitle and e-content around $body$
#
KevinMarks1
p-author on author dt-published on date (may need a little extra code to get an ISO date)
#
znmeb
There's little chance RStudio would accept pull requests without some executive level selling effort but I can easily publish an R package on GitHub
#
znmeb
R can munge dates easily via "lubridate"
#
KevinMarks1
sure, but if you fork the base template yourself, that's the cleaenst way to do it
#
KevinMarks1
rather than trying to do class injection at the markdown layer
#
KevinMarks1
you could even add webmention handling to the template with webmention.herokuapp.com or one of the others
#
tantek
gRegorLove: darn it you're right I thought I saw more. There's a reference by bear to David Dias, and then j12t's question, but no other notes. sadface
#
znmeb
webmention I've got - in the included footer along with my h-card
#
KevinMarks1
so you declare the variable in the yaml header, and they are rendered as $variable$ in the template?
#
znmeb
something like that - there are three components in the tool chain and they all look at the YAML
#
KevinMarks1
if so you can just add isodate: 2016-06-09 11:51:00-0700 to your yaml
#
KevinMarks1
though munging in script makes sense too
#
znmeb
knitr separates the code chunks from the text, executes the code and puts its results into the post
#
znmeb
you can generate the ISO date via R code
#
znmeb
it's a simple expression - you can set the timezone and format the standard "Unix" way
#
KevinMarks1
that sounds better
mlncn joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
and I assume you cna add authorurl: and authorphoto: to your yaml to fill out the h-card too
#
shanehudson.net
edited /Planning (+32) "/* Brighton UK */"
(view diff)
#
KevinMarks1
where's your site znmeb?
#
Loqi
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
#
znmeb
what did the bot do - visit the site and grab my h-card??
#
znmeb
I guess I should make the site repo public too - it's private on GitLab at the moment
#
tantek
znmeb, say hello to Loqi
#
Loqi
yeah!
#
gRegorLove
Yeah, Loqi will extract h-entry p-name, and I guess h-card p-name
#
Loqi
yeah!
#
gRegorLove
Loqi's hyped up today
#
znmeb
go for it, @loqi ;-)
#
Loqi
who, me?
#
Zegnat
Who is znmeb?
#
Zegnat
Aah, you did not introduce yourself to Loqi yet? :(
#
znmeb
I've seen that dinosaur before somewhere ;-)
#
KevinMarks1
feel free to update/comment on that PR
#
Zegnat
KevinMarks1: is p-summary really correct for a subtitle?
#
tantek
what is a subtitle?
#
tantek.com
edited /description (+40) "fix dfn"
(view diff)
#
KevinMarks1
I think it's a reasonable mapping. If there is an abstract field in the doc structure that would work.
#
KevinMarks1
what is summary?
#
Loqi
A summary is short text that conveys a post's main point(s), or a plain text equivalent for kinds of posts like likes and RSVPs that use other properties to convey their meaning https://indiewebcamp.com/summary
#
tantek
what is a subtitle?
#
Loqi
description is the second line of text under the title of a blog or site. It’s sometimes called a tagline or subtitle https://indiewebcamp.com/subtitle
#
KevinMarks1
description is shifty though
#
znmeb
The R Markdown YAML has a "description" field
#
KevinMarks1
that comes from RSS orignally where it was what we'd call summary now
#
KevinMarks1
the name/summary/content triad is useful
#
tantek
yep - that's the convergence
#
Zegnat
Also, this isn’t the tagline for a whole blog, I expect this would be the literal subtitle for the post (eg hgroup-element style).
#
tantek
you can have a summary for a post
#
KevinMarks1
yes, I know
#
znmeb
which one ends up in the "meta" field for search engine optimization - that's what I'd want to write
#
KevinMarks1
none of them, they don't emit description, just author and keywords
#
KevinMarks1
hm, could put the keywords in category too
#
KevinMarks1
also, their doctype is retro
#
KevinMarks1
xhtml 1.0 transitional?
#
tantek
hmm, class=p-summary on meta description? I'll have to note that for metaformats
#
tantek
(apparently already noted, ok, reconfirmed)
#
Zegnat
what are metaformats?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for "metaformats" yet. Would you like to create it? https://indiewebcamp.com/s/10N9
#
tantek
metaformats are an April Fools joke describing how to both publish using microformats class names and openly parse meta tags as a fallback for what should be in-the-body visible data, including backcompat with [[OGP]], [[Twitter Cards]], and meta author, description, and anything else real sites (like search engines) appear to consume.
#
loqi.me
created /metaformats (+364) "prompted by Zegnat https://indiewebcamp.com/irc/2016-06-10/line/1465586404975 and dfn added by tantek"
(view diff)
#
Zegnat
Thanks for clarifying, hadn’t heard it mentioned before
#
tantek
Zegnat that's because it's just a note for a joke in my local .txt file
#
Zegnat
p-summary on your meta description should be completely fine for mf2 parsers though, as long as you remember to mark the html tag as h-entry
#
tantek
Zegnat except that microformats parsers ignore meta tags
#
tantek
that would be part of metaformats, defining an extension to microformats2 parsers for how to parse the meta tag
#
Zegnat
They should not ignore it. Though I guess they wouldn’t know to look inside the content-attribute, so it comes down to the same result as ignoring it.
#
Zegnat
There is nothing in the spec re ignoring specific tags, unless I remember wrong
#
aaronpk
it finds the property but not the value http://pin13.net/mf2/?id=20160610192644045
#
znmeb
@KevinMarks1 it turns out R Markdown has its own Pandoc templates - your patch could end up in Pandoc but won't end up in R Markdown
#
znmeb
so I'll end up having to pick up your template into my site build process anyhow
#
KevinMarks1
ah, OK
#
KevinMarks1
I just followed their link
shiflett joined the channel
#
znmeb
I'll have to trudge through the R Markdown code to figure out where they put their copy of that template
#
znmeb
they ship binaries of Pandoc with RStudio :-(
#
znmeb
and their own Qt binaries too, IIRC ... makes Fedora cry
#
KevinMarks1
not sure I'm up for RDFa vs microformats right now. I could link my schema essay
#
znmeb
nobody's gonna go out of their way to implement either one as near as I can tell - the beancounters and IP lawyers that run things don't get a cut of either ;-)
#
tantek
Kevinmarks - yeah not worth it
#
znmeb
speaking of beancounters and IP lawyers, Slack is back up ;-)
#
tantek
Kevinmarks - shorter answer:
#
tantek
This very specific h-entry microformat has wide support across dozens of consuming implementations (see /Webmention#IndieWeb_Examples ). Whereas no RDFa annotations have any such consuming support that does anything visible, thus they are not worth publishing. So no the same result is not possible with RDFa.
#
tantek
no need to link to a long involved blog post ;)
#
aaronpk
or just say the positive aspects of that to avoid sounding argumentative ;-)
#
tantek
but yeah, "W3C approved RDF" should be a trigger phrase
#
tantek
what aaronpk said - go ahead and edit what I said
#
KevinMarks1
I was going to say "As discussed at the first link, h-entry is a general microformat for making up a page with author, date, title, summary and content and thus maps well to this generic template."
#
aaronpk
i would add the bit about the actual implementations consuming it currently
#
KevinMarks1
yes that's good
KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
and not start an RDF fight
#
aaronpk
there is no way to win an RDF fight
#
aaronpk
the only way to win is not to play
#
KevinMarks1
oh, there's a default.html5 too
#
ben_thatmustbeme
KevinMarks1: i responded
#
ben_thatmustbeme
avoide fighting about it, just stick to "no one has requested that though"
#
ben_thatmustbeme
s/avoide/avoids/
#
Loqi
ben_thatmustbeme meant to say: avoids fighting about it, just stick to "no one has requested that though"
#
aaronpk
i still think it's important to add *why* you want that markup there, otherwise it just looks like adding markup for markup sake
#
znmeb
I gotta go do some "selfdogfooding" with Docker for Windows beta - but there's coffee ;-)
#
KevinMarks1
that's why I linked the wiki
#
KevinMarks1
the Why Publish there is good
[shaners] joined the channel
#
[shaners]
jkphl: it’s no bother. glad you found it.
#
gRegorLove
When is the /this-week last preview, 10 min before?
#
aaronpk
yep and in 4 minutes
#
gRegorLove
[shaners]: You submitting any of your articles to http://news.indiewebcamp.com/en for the /this-week email? (or want us to?)
#
Loqi
Just generated this week's newsletter! You still have a few minutes to make changes, and I'll re-generate it 10 minutes before it gets sent out at 2pm. http://indiewebcamp.com/this-week/2016-06-10.html
#
KartikPrabhu
Loqi: you should say 2pm PST or something
#
Loqi
i think me say should 2pm PST
tantek joined the channel
#
gRegorLove
Hm, Germany gif is showing for the DW event too
#
gRegorLove
Er, and others
hs0ucy1 joined the channel
#
gRegorLove
I'm going to add [shaners] "What" post at least.
#
[shaners]
gregorlove: I’ve not submitted any.
hs0ucy joined the channel
#
[shaners]
You are welcome to.
#
[shaners]
aaronpk mentioned adding one a week for the next five weeks.
#
[shaners]
Don’t care either way.
#
gRegorLove
aaronpk: Does it need to be a bookmark-of for indienews to pick it up?
#
aaronpk
if you're posting someone else's then yes
#
tantek
could someone submit the newsweek article?
#
tantek
what are posts about?
#
Loqi
Welcome to news about the IndieWeb where recent notable articles about the IndieWeb are cited and linked to keep you up to date https://indiewebcamp.com/posts_about
#
tantek
^^^ top there
#
tantek.com
edited /2016 (+1) "was"
(view diff)
#
Loqi
[indienews] New post: "Building the First Amendment Into the Web and Other Hopes for the Internet’s Future" http://www.newsweek.com/building-first-amendment-web-and-other-hopes-internets-future-468597 (from https://aaronparecki.com/2016/06/09/15/dwebsummit)
#
aaronpk
aw it didn't pick up the screenshot
#
loqi.me
created /Decentralized_Web_Summit (+55) "prompted by tantek and dfn added by tantek"
(view diff)
#
Loqi
[indienews] New post: "Part 1 of Shane’s series, “Regarding the IndieWeb: What”" http://veganstraightedge.com/articles/2016/06/05/regarding-the-indie-web-what (from http://gregorlove.com/2016/06/part-1-of-shanes-series/)
#
Loqi
Generated the final version of the newsletter! This will be sent out at 2pm Pacific time. http://indiewebcamp.com/this-week/2016-06-10.html
#
aaronpk
(i can still manually regenerate it until it actually goes out)
#
loqi.me
created /Peer_to_Peer_Networks (+54) "prompted by tantek and dfn added by tantek"
(view diff)
#
gRegorLove
Added dfn for 2016/Hack Day Intro
mlncn joined the channel
#
aaronpk
updated
#
gRegorLove
looks good
#
Zegnat
aaronpk: that new community membrs sections seems off
#
aaronpk
oh yeah i forgot to make it ignore .css
KevinMarks1 joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
I'm doing a partial livetweet replay
#
aaronpk
next time i should make it use the featured image of indienews submissions
#
aaronpk
which probably actually means i should get indienews to show the featured images so that it looks better too
#
KevinMarks1
that makes sense - it looked good on your site fro articels
#
KevinMarks1
oops, I shoudl submit this page
#
gRegorLove
The user CSS files I doubt will crop up again. That was my mistake, sorry.
#
KevinMarks1
am I too late?
#
Loqi
[indienews] New post: "Decentralized Web Summit 2016-06-07" http://www.kevinmarks.com/decentralweb2016-06-08.html
namespace1 joined the channel
#
miklb
gRegorLove it actually helped me. Setting the body font-size to 1em made reading the wiki much easier for these tired old eyes
#
namespace1
Testing one two.
#
gRegorLove
Could probably safely ignore any sub-pages of the User: namespace. Only the top pages there are people
#
namespace1
Oh good.
#
namespace1
So I have a Jekyll site, are there pre-built tools to hook it up to gnusocial/etc?
#
gRegorLove
miklb: Ah, nice! Yeah, I will likely use mine to tweak things. I really liked the 2014 redesign using Teahouse theme for the better typography.
#
miklb
what is gnusocial
#
gRegorLove
Hello and welcome, namespace1
#
Loqi
GNU social is a free software project that "will be a decentralized social network that you can install on your own server" https://indiewebcamp.com/gnusocial
#
gRegorLove
What is Jekyll?
#
Loqi
Jekyll is Ruby software that helps you create "Simple, blog-aware, static sites" suitable for static domain hosting https://indiewebcamp.com/Jekyll
#
miklb
namespace1 I use Jekyll, but not familiar with gnusocial
#
aaronpk
i made the "new users" section not include css pages
#
KevinMarks1
you can add h-entry markup and webmention support to jekyll
[znmeb] joined the channel
#
[znmeb]
Not to be confused with Heckle's magpie compatriot
frzn_ joined the channel
#
KevinMarks1
then gnusocial links will show up
#
miklb
KevinMarks1 need to be able to send webmentions?
#
miklb
or receive
#
gRegorLove
/this-week email needs the new logo :)
[shaners] joined the channel
#
[shaners]
Old logo is in the new email. Oops.
#
KevinMarks1
both is ideal - there are a couple of solutions
#
[shaners]
Is it an embedded image or a linked URL that we can just swap out on the server?
#
gRegorLove
Looks like a composite image, including "This Week in IndieWeb"
#
aaronpk
oops haha crap
#
aaronpk
did not even notice that
#
aaronpk
yeah it's part of the mailchimp template
#
[shaners]
But is it an attached image or a linked one?
#
[shaners]
Ie, is the file something on a server that we can hotfix with the new logo?
#
aaronpk
i believe it gets embedded
#
@miklb
@tomwiththeweath how did your solution of sending webmentions workout? Something you’ve documented yet?
(twitter.com/_/status/741378668635795456)
wolftune joined the channel
#
miklb
wow, I had barely hit send in my Twitter client
#
[shaners]
You know, the square icon doesn’t look bad. Even very small, like in the Slack tweet preview user icon. Maybe 16x16 px?
#
KevinMarks
Can you rebuild to get my day 2 post from indienews?
#
[shaners]
It’s already been sent out, kevinmarks.
#
KevinMarks
I'm still updating it, I'm about to delayed livetweet my own panel
#
KevinMarks
Well you can fix the page
#
[shaners]
Oh I see what you mean
#
aaronpk
i have to fix my photo bug before i can rebuild it now
#
aaronpk
(where it replaces all the images with one of them lol)
arthurspooner, KevinMarks_, KevinMarks, Lancey and snarfed joined the channel
#
KevinMarks
So once we have webmention built in to gnu social, who turns it on by default? Mmn?
[shaners] joined the channel
pfefferle, KartikPrabhu, KevinMarks and gavinc joined the channel
#
@Pinboard
Do you make grilled cheese with a flamethrower? So why are you using javascript to render a page of text?
(twitter.com/_/status/740790430644772865)
#
Loqi
[indieweb] "Retweeted this tweet: Shane Becker on Twitter: &#8220;This week in the #indieweb was a busy one. https://t.co/yzYLdGVVez&#8220;" by Scott Kingery http://techlifeweb.com/14289-2/
snarfed, KevinMarks and shiflett_ joined the channel
#
@tomwiththeweath
@miklb it seems to work. i linked to the 2 gists at http://herestomwiththeweather.com/2016/06/07/indieweb-summit-2016-demos/ and plan to document in more detail after a howe tribute. :)
(twitter.com/_/status/741402960270217216)
begriffs joined the channel
#
@miklb
@tomwiththeweath maybe be adapted to work with CI and run the webmention Ruby script after build?
(twitter.com/_/status/741407806071406592)
KevinMarks_, KevinMarks and begriffs joined the channel
#
@miklb
@tomwiththeweath would be kinda cool to have documentation and example code in the jekyll-indieweb repo
(twitter.com/_/status/741411175477444613)
#
miklb
^ reference sending webmentions w/Jekyll using CI and deploying back to gh-pages
#
miklb
bear offer to help with CircleCI still stand? We'd like to offer a tutorial and example code in the repo
#
miklb
deploy a static stie
#
bear
yes, will help anyone with any CI - circle or travis
#
miklb
bear++
#
Loqi
bear has 143 karma
tantek and snarfed joined the channel
#
snarfed
KevinMarks: heh sorry, to clarify, granary REST supports scraping IG profiles and photos, just not with a cookie to get your consumption feed yet
#
snarfed
easy to add though!
#
bear
miklb - feel free to point me at any github repo I can clone to get a circleci config setup
#
miklb
bear we are talking about setting up an example for the https://github.com/miklb/jekyll-indieweb would also use a modification of this script https://gist.github.com/herestomwiththeweather/f73dec9fdaa2ed0821594192f4a93cfd for the actual sending. So not quite there yet, but any start would be appreciative
#
bear
k, if I dig out of this work backlog I will fork that and give it a go this weekend
#
miklb
sure, no rush. Just came up in conversation this evening.
#
bear
nods
#
miklb
I use Travis and originally deployed gh-pages using 2 branches, one for code and master for the compiled _site directory.
snarfed1 and wolftune joined the channel