#indieweb 2017-05-19

#
[colinwalker]
Morning pfefferle
# [colinwalker] joined the channel
#
dougbeal
morning pfefferle
#
[colinwalker]
Does tell work when coming from Slack?
#
pfefferle
i think so
#
[colinwalker]
Only one way to find out ;)
#
[colinwalker]
!tell miklb the semantic_linkbacks_type query worked
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
[colinwalker]
Woohoo!
#
Loqi
woot
#
[colinwalker]
Anyway, how's it going?
#
[colinwalker]
Don't think so - forwarding link so I can see it on a PC (just a little small on mobile lol)
# sebsel joined the channel
#
[colinwalker]
That's a nice concise bit of code
#
sebsel
good morning IndieWeb :)
#
[colinwalker]
👋
# [jeremycherfas] joined the channel
#
[jeremycherfas]
Good morning. Updated the laptop and now MAMP is borken. Here's hoping someone in NUE will be able to help.
# seekr joined the channel
# seekr joined the channel
# seekr joined the channel
# strugee joined the channel
# seekr joined the channel
# friedcell joined the channel
# seekr joined the channel
# calumryan joined the channel
# calumryan joined the channel
# [kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
aaronpk
in my experience, adding new formats like that is easy to add, but difficult to maintain
#
Loqi
[[shaners]] I added JSON Feed to the CrimethInc. site today. It took two hours and was pretty easy. Most of the time was spent digging through my own code. The spec is clearly written and stuff.
# j4y_funabashi joined the channel
#
j4y_funabashi
morning all
#
aaronpk
good morning!
#
Zegnat
re JSON Feed, I wonder how fast they are willing to itterate on the spec. The GitHub issues raise some interested points. https://github.com/brentsimmons/JSONFeed/issues
# [colinwalker] joined the channel
#
[colinwalker]
Manton said yesterday they've already merged at least one PR so pretty quickly it seems
# sebsel joined the channel
#
Zegnat
[colinwalker], I see some example fixes being merged in, not a whole lot of things that have an actual effect on the spec.
#
Zegnat
Oh, this might be the fix he was referring to: https://github.com/brentsimmons/JSONFeed/issues/11
#
Loqi
[foresmac] #11 Require RFC 3339 datetimes
#
[colinwalker]
It's a start ;)
#
voxpelli
the WebSub spec would need to be updated for JSON Feed to currently work with it as well – or JSON Feed to change so that WebSub doesn't require any changes
#
aaronpk
wait what? websub doesn't care about the payload of the notification
#
cweiske
hub detection will fail
#
cweiske
if the hub is announced in the contents only
#
voxpelli
aaronpk: yes, but the JSON Feed spec has added a "hubs" key that it believes should be used to advertise WebSub hubs
#
cweiske
not in the http link header
#
aaronpk
voxpelli: oh i missed that
#
aaronpk
lol "hubs (very optional)"
#
voxpelli
me and Julien tweeted with manton about that yesterday and Julien pointed him to the WebSub repo and asked for an issue
#
aaronpk
that's going to be a tricky one. at least with HTML and XML there is a generic way to link to rels
# hyper_greg joined the channel
#
aaronpk
but with JSON there isn't really a "generic" way to do it that doesn't potentially conflict with data in the JSON file
#
voxpelli
yeah, the only generic way for JSON is with link headers
#
voxpelli
I do think that something like JSON Feeds should have a generic link-property on both feed and item level though, to enable extensions like WebMention, payment etc to be easily and independently injected in there
#
voxpelli
cweiske: um, a quick read there gives me the impression that JSON API only allows a single link per relation type – can that really be right?
#
aaronpk
"the allowed values of additional members will be expanded (e.g. a collection link may support an array of values, whereas a self link does not)."
#
aaronpk
does not seem very thoroughly specified
#
aaronpk
also they don't really say that the key names are rels
#
aaronpk
they don't actually say what to use for the key names
# friedcell joined the channel
# sebsel joined the channel
# sebsel joined the channel
#
voxpelli
cweiske: aaronpk: I added an issue regarding link relations: https://github.com/brentsimmons/JSONFeed/issues/44
#
Loqi
[voxpelli] #44 Support link relations
# friedcell joined the channel
#
aaronpk
awesome
# Pierre-O joined the channel
# sebsel joined the channel
# [kevinmarks] joined the channel
# friedcell joined the channel
# [shaners] joined the channel
# mlncn joined the channel
#
miklb
pfefferle those functions in semantic linkback are great, I use them for my facepiles, but colinwalker was trying to get replies that came in as webmentions but loose the the type as they are now standard comments along with other webmentions
#
Loqi
miklb: [colinwalker] left you a message 3 hours, 23 minutes ago: the semantic_linkbacks_type query worked
# sebsel joined the channel
#
miklb
that reads as confusing as it sounds
# friedcell joined the channel
#
[colinwalker]
😆
# [colinwalker] joined the channel
# sebsel joined the channel
# gucci_meow joined the channel
#
pfefferle
miklb understood :)
#
GWG
Good morning, all
#
sknebel
good morning GWG!
#
GWG
Everyone excited about a second weekend of Indiewebcamp?
# sebsel joined the channel
#
cweiske
which hotel are you staying in Nürnberg?
# KevinMarks joined the channel
# barpthewire joined the channel
# hs0ucy joined the channel
# [colinwalker] joined the channel
#
[colinwalker]
Just had a thought (I know, careful) - as webmention replies have comment_type removed can't we just use semantic_linkbacks_type to check if a reply and then rewrite the value to the table?
#
[colinwalker]
On a mission...
# friedcell joined the channel
# calumryan joined the channel
# KevinMarks joined the channel
# j4y_funabashi joined the channel
# KevinMarks_ joined the channel
# sebsel joined the channel
# DanC joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
moving here from off topic
#
ben_thatmustbeme
going to look in to how different jsonfeed is from jf2
# [kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i dislike 'version' strings, but i guess you sort of need that once you make it vocabulary aware
#
[kevinmarks]
i end up with doubled summary/content as RSS description is ambiguos
#
[kevinmarks]
we have chlidren vs items
#
ben_thatmustbeme
'name' vs 'title'
#
ben_thatmustbeme
'home_page_url' seems sort of silly on a feed, what does that even mean?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
feed_url i could understand, or home_page_url under the author, sure
#
ben_thatmustbeme
oh, i see, it has a self reference to the feed_url being the json version... don't love the naming of that
# arush joined the channel
#
[kevinmarks]
it's like rel=self in atom
#
[kevinmarks]
they have semirandomly picked terms from RSS and Atom
#
[kevinmarks]
seem like graphQL in front of an mf2 parser would be a way to do this
#
Zegnat
ben_thatmustbeme, your URL field thoughts sound a lot like: https://github.com/brentsimmons/JSONFeed/issues/38
#
Loqi
[jbafford] #38 Split home_page_url into two separate fields
#
ben_thatmustbeme
sigh, its a little disturbing to see people worried about backcompat for a spec so early in its infancy. But thats what happens when you publish something and give it a version and make it look like you are expecting it to be implemented before anyone outside of the editors have had a chance to review it
#
Zegnat
Well, they had some invited reviewers, those are thanked in the spec.
#
ben_thatmustbeme
not the same as public review
#
Zegnat
Definitely
#
[kevinmarks]
It might be quicker to make a jsonfeed to h-feed page on unmung than to explain it
# singpolyma joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i suppose the idea case is to have a simple, straight forward translation from mf2 - > jf2/jsonfeed (in some unified way) and back to mf2
# barpthewire joined the channel
# mlncn joined the channel
# [manton] joined the channel
#
[manton]
voxpelli and aaronpk: The way I read Julien's comments was that WebSub's Discovery section in particular might need to be updated. Not sure if there was something else... But I think the "Publishers _must_ implement" could be relaxed a little to "_should_ implement", giving room for something like JSON Feed's "hubs" (or the proposed "links"). I plan to write up an issue for this.
#
aaronpk
it would be nice for WebSub to specify a way to do rel discovery for JSON documents for this purpose
#
[kevinmarks]
or you could add a rels to jsonfeed like we use in mf2
#
aaronpk
I don't like the idea of adding hub-specific properties to JSONFeed, or adding JSONFeed-specific discovery to WebSub
#
[manton]
kevinmarks I don't think that would technically matter. If you strictly follow what WebSub says, it leaves no room for specifying a hub except in XML or HTTP headers.
#
aaronpk
note that for HTTP, HTML and XML, WebSub doesn't define its own linking format, it uses the previously existing link rel mechanisms
#
aaronpk
so I would want to do the same for JSON
#
[kevinmarks]
which is what mf2 rels is
#
[manton]
aaronpk I totally get that. My first thought was "links" as well. But my view is that WebSub is critical to improving feed readers, and so kind of promoting it to a core part of the spec will give it more attention.
#
voxpelli
A link relation based approach with stick closely to existing discovery mechanisms
#
aaronpk
[manton]: my only problem with "links" is that it's almost too generic of a term. that's why "rels" is nice because it's specifically just the links with a rel attribute. otherwise it could be misinterpreted that you're supposed to put *all* links in that array
#
voxpelli
aaronpk: add that to my JSON feed issue?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
'links' is quite generic
#
aaronpk
but ultimately that's bikeshedding the property name. the point is that in any case it shouldn't be a "hub" property
#
Zegnat
With “links” I guess it would follow JSONAPI though, so not inventing anything new? http://jsonapi.org/format/#document-links
#
aaronpk
i suspect microformats2 has been using "rels" longer than jsonapi.org
#
ben_thatmustbeme
also aligns better with html as rels are more that just <link> tags
#
ben_thatmustbeme
unless that section is specific to only things from link tags
#
aaronpk
in mf2 it's all rel= values
#
ben_thatmustbeme
[manton]: i'm hoping we can find a way to make jf2 = jsonfeed
#
voxpelli
The lack of rel-self is also a problem for current "hubs", WebSub requires it still, no?
#
[manton]
It's really a trade-off with how generic something should be. There are many fields that could be abstracted to more of a type/value format, to be more flexible, but then you make the document more verbose. I don't think it's always clear. (I'm sure many folks would want next_url to be moved to links/rels too.)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
as i realized doing so while keeping mf2 parsing in mind would mean there would be a simple way to go mf2 -> jsonfeed/mf2 in an automated way
#
[manton]
voxpelli: I think feed_url serves the same purpose.
#
ben_thatmustbeme
and thus a json.feed url could actually be a processor
#
voxpelli
[manton]: to the credit of jf2 style is that it enables a parser/consumer to not just consume feeds, but user profiles, comments, events and more
#
voxpelli
[manton]: and one thing that the post-blog social web has that the blogs didn't is that it has lots more types of data, not everything is articles anymore
#
ben_thatmustbeme
voxpelli: jf2 also isn't currently vocabulary aware
#
ben_thatmustbeme
aaronpk has brought this up as a limitation
#
ben_thatmustbeme
or rather makes it not as useful for his implementation
#
voxpelli
ben_thatmustbeme: is it just h-entry?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
no, its more of how to format certain things, its the issue of this value is always a single item or not
#
ben_thatmustbeme
jf2 says any item could be a single value, array, or object
#
[manton]
voxpelli: Yep, good point. JSON Feed is very focused on blog-like posts.
#
voxpelli
Right, but it can express events, profiles etc so it makes it easy to build a full Facebook on top of the format rather than be limited to just a Twitter/blog style feed of simple notes
#
[kevinmarks]
that was a bit what I was getting at with GraphQL - that says you can always get a list or single param
#
ben_thatmustbeme
it would likely be a profile of jf2
#
ben_thatmustbeme
which is when you start needing versioning
# pantal joined the channel
#
[kevinmarks]
ie collapses empty list to not there and single entry list to just property
# dougbeal|iOS joined the channel
# [cleverdevil] joined the channel
#
[cleverdevil]
I mocked out JSONFeed on my site last night and struggled a little bit with mapping different types of posts. I ended up adding in an extension to each item that contains some extra metadata. https://cleverdevil.io/?_t=json
#
aaronpk
ah yeah, likes, reposts and bookmarks
#
[cleverdevil]
Checkins are captured as well.
#
Zegnat
[cleverdevil], you have HTML in the content_text property, it looks like
#
[cleverdevil]
Yeah I'm still working on it 😀
#
[cleverdevil]
Known is a little weird with how it stores content and I'm still learning how to properly pull it out.
#
[cleverdevil]
For some types of content I think I've got it right, for others not yet.
# friedcell joined the channel
#
Zegnat
Nice! Just thought I would mention it incase you hadn’t seen it yet :)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
the biggest difficulty jsonfeed will hit is that its going to be an uphill battle fighting existing standards that are quite well established
#
ben_thatmustbeme
may not like working with xml, but you would still have to support reading all those formats anyway
#
ben_thatmustbeme
whereas some mf2 -> jf2 just about every independant social web project has now
# kerozene joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
has mf2 that is
#
ben_thatmustbeme
diaspora is the one missing one from the set there though, need someone to make a PR for it
#
Loqi
[superfeedr] "Improving the webmentions directory" by Colin Walker on 2017-05-19 https://colinwalker.blog/2017/05/19/improving-the-webmentions-directory/
# wolftune joined the channel
# tantek joined the channel
# thrrgilag joined the channel
# [mko] joined the channel
#
Zegnat
Something is wrong with that picture ^^^ I have met both aaronpk and sebsel, and they are definitely not equally tall ;)
#
[cleverdevil]
Fixed that content_text vs content_html issue Zengat, thanks for the reminder!
# miklb joined the channel
#
aaronpk
Zegnat: lol! i'm standing on the top step and sebsel is on the next step down!
#
[cleverdevil]
manton when you get a chance, take a look at my JSONFeed – https://cleverdevil.io/content/all/?_t=json – it may be worth considering defining reposts, likes, checkins, etc., in more detail in the spec.
#
sebsel
haha, I'm still taller 0:)
#
[cleverdevil]
I'm currently creating an `_indieweb` extension.
#
Loqi
hehe
# snarfed joined the channel
# snarfed joined the channel
# Pierre-O joined the channel
#
snarfed
ben_thatmustbeme KevinMarks_: re https://chat.indieweb.org/2017-05-19#t1495204237542000 etc, feel free to weigh in on https://github.com/snarfed/granary/issues/107 , happy add jsonfeed support to granary (e.g. to/from mf2) if there's enough interest
#
Loqi
[[kevinmarks]] It might be quicker to make a jsonfeed to h-feed page on unmung than to explain it
#
Loqi
[Aaron Parecki] I'm Still Here!
#
aaronpk
i'm ridiculously happy about this
#
dougbeal|iOS
I have a post from instagram via OYG and syndicated to Facebook. Facebook likes find the post fine, but the instagram ones say no webmention targets (via bridgy https://brid.gy/instagram/murderofcro.ws#)
#
Loqi
murderofcro.ws
#
[cleverdevil]
That's awesome aaronpk!
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 502 karma in this channel (1319 overall)
#
snarfed
aaronpk++
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 503 karma in this channel (1320 overall)
#
Zegnat
aaronpk++ for showing off one of the few practical checkin implementations!
#
Loqi
aaronpk has 504 karma in this channel (1321 overall)
# mlncn joined the channel
#
dougbeal|iOS
On the other hand, the Facebook like was auto-approved https://github.com/dougbeal/wordpress-sembpress-child/blob/master/functions.php
# benwerd joined the channel
#
dougbeal|iOS
snarfed: what did you use to check? The other OYG posts just worked.
#
snarfed
i just looked at that post's html. it has just one u-syndication link, to flickr
#
ben_thatmustbeme
snarfed: i'd wait until at least the next revision before implementing it based on the number of issues opened on github
#
dougbeal|iOS
Oh, none to Facebook?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
regarding jsonfeed that is
#
dougbeal|iOS
Is it bad if I edit the post and add syndication checkboxes?
#
dougbeal|iOS
That lost the original source?
#
snarfed
ben_thatmustbeme: sure
#
snarfed
dougbeal: editing to add synd links is fine
# KevinMarks joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# hs0ucy joined the channel
# [manton] joined the channel
#
[manton]
aaronpk The blue dot is great. Nicely done!
#
[cleverdevil]
I'm jealous of the blue dot.
#
[cleverdevil]
That said, I am not even sure where I could begin to bring this feature to my site.
#
aaronpk
Thanks manton!
#
aaronpk
hehe yeah there are some extra pieces required if you are doing it from scratch. I have the advantage of already having continuous gps location on my server
#
[cleverdevil]
You use iOS, right?
#
[cleverdevil]
What's your solution for continuous location tracking on iOS?
# amz3` joined the channel
#
aaronpk
An app I wrote :-P
#
[cleverdevil]
Makes sense 😄
#
[cleverdevil]
I want an app for iOS that sends location, health, and activity data via webhooks.
#
snarfed
hey [manton] btw, minor heads up, looks like http://help.micro.blog/rss.xml isn't working
#
ben_thatmustbeme
dogfooding++
#
Loqi
dogfooding has 3 karma
#
snarfed
if only my reader supported it :P
#
snarfed
(http://help.micro.blog/ has a rel-alternate link to rss.xml but not feed.json)
#
tantek
rel-alternate all the feed files!
#
[manton]
snarfed Whoops, thanks! I'll get those fixed.
#
dougbeal
Does wordpress keep changelogs of posts? I'm not sure how the syndication link was changed to only flickr
#
dougbeal
Oh, the source is getting overwritten by new destinations
#
voxpelli
Did anyone start at a jf2 comparison issue for the JSON Feed repo?
#
dougbeal
Would that be micropub or bridy or syndication links?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
[manton]++ for self-dogfooding jsonfeed
#
Loqi
manton has 14 karma in this channel (15 overall)
#
ben_thatmustbeme
voxpelli: not yet
#
ben_thatmustbeme
or not that i know of
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i feel like it should be doable though
#
voxpelli
ben_thatmustbeme: would be nice to link to when comparisons like https://github.com/brentsimmons/JSONFeed/issues/49 arise :)
#
Loqi
[darobin] #49 Thought experiment: using schema.org + JSON-LD instead
#
ben_thatmustbeme
voxpelli: feel free to start one
#
voxpelli
ben_thatmustbeme: I don't feel like I'm up to date enough on jf2 :/
#
ben_thatmustbeme
fine to start an issue though, i'm just juggling 20 things at once right now
# KevinMarks_ joined the channel
#
dougbeal
Are there indiemark badges?
# KevinMarks joined the channel
#
tantek
dougbeal contributions welcome :)
# KevinMarks joined the channel
#
[manton]
voxpelli No comparison yet, but I mentioned JF2 in: https://github.com/brentsimmons/JSONFeed/issues/42
#
Loqi
[dret] #42 Related specs and comparisons
#
voxpelli
[manton]: great! :)
#
dougbeal
tantek: I will add it the queue ;)
# tantek joined the channel
# KevinMarks joined the channel
#
@lynncyrin
there any @indiewebcamp people here at this #pycon with a burning desire to talk to a Mastodon admin?
(twtr.io/1RtpJscwPPk)
# gRegorLove joined the channel
# [cleverdevil] joined the channel
# KevinMarks_ joined the channel
# KartikPrabhu joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# KevinMarks joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# Pierre-O joined the channel
# [manton] joined the channel
#
Loqi
Just generated this week's newsletter! You still have a few minutes to make changes, and I'll re-generate it 10 minutes before it gets sent out at 3pm Pacific time. https://indieweb.org/this-week/2017-05-19.html
#
ben_thatmustbeme
wonders if he should find a place to mention the ruby parser updates in it
#
ben_thatmustbeme
and command line script
# benwerd joined the channel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
waves to benwerd
#
Zegnat
Doesn’t https://news.indieweb.org/ get put in the newsletter? Just put it on your own blog and submit it to there, ben_thatmustbeme?
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i need to do a blog post about it
#
ben_thatmustbeme
i have left my personal blog somewhat a mess as I have been working to figure out all of the indieauth stuff again for my rewrite to laravel
#
ben_thatmustbeme
anyway, need to catch the train
#
Zegnat
Another option is to just add a GitHub project link to news, like here: https://news.indieweb.org/en/github.com/pfefferle/wordpress-indienews
#
Loqi
[boffosocko.com] WordPress IndieNews
# benwerd joined the channel
# gucci_meow joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# [kevinmarks] joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# KevinMarks joined the channel
#
@benwerd
I'm going to the #IndieWeb Summit in Portland next month. If you care about an independent web, you should too. https://2017.indieweb.org/
(twtr.io/1Ru3HfWGtu9)
#
Loqi
[superfeedr] "I'm going to the #IndieWeb Summit in Portland next month. If you care about an independent web, you should too. http://2017.indieweb.org" by Ben Werdmüller on 2017-05-19 http://werd.io/2017/im-going-to-the-indieweb-summit-in-portland-next-month
# tantek joined the channel
# KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
Loqi
Generated the final version of the newsletter! This will be sent out at 3pm Pacific time. https://indieweb.org/this-week/2017-05-19.html
# Lana joined the channel
# [chrisaldrich] joined the channel
#
tantek
and now I have a use-case for "co-organizing" - IWS!
#
tantek
(as an RSVP)
#
tantek
and let's see if the IWS event de-dupes RSVPs from the same person >:D
# gucci_meow joined the channel
#
tantek
looks like we're over 50% booked for IWS!
# [cleverdevil] joined the channel
#
[cleverdevil]
That's awesome 😄
#
GWG
I am close to making arrangements
#
tantek
I should do that today
#
Loqi
agreed.
#
tantek
I'm posting another RSVP, to exercise another special-case RSVP use-case that I have, to RSVP to the secondary copies, and to see how RSVP de-duping is handled :D
#
tantek
has anyone already booked their hotel(s) for IWS?
#
GWG
Recommendations appreciated
#
tantek
pretty sure we can copy recommendations from the previous year
#
@ScalaWilliam
#Indieweb: https://indieweb.org/Why_web_sign-in I'm sold. I just added rel="me" to a few links on my website and it just (https://indieauth.com) works
(twtr.io/1Ru9ucBFoQZ)
#
tantek
awesome!
#
@t
co-organizing IndieWeb Summit 2017-06-24…25 @MozPDX! Welcome @benwerd; <25 spots left! RSVP: https://2017.indieweb.org/ (ttk.me t4oR1)
(twtr.io/1Ru9ye3gq_f)
#
Loqi
[superfeedr] "co-organizing IndieWeb Summit 2017-06-24…25 @MozPDX! Welcome @benwerd; " on 2017-05-19 http://tantek.com/2017/139/t1/organizing-indieweb-summit
#
tantek
a-ha that time Twitter won the race
# snarfed joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
#
tantek
aaronpk - I've managed to indie RSVP *TWICE* to 2017.indieweb.org ;)
#
aaronpk
Oh boy
#
tantek
well to be fair, you did it first ;)
#
[cleverdevil]
So have you, haha.
#
Loqi
rofl
#
aaronpk
My second one was via bridgy lol
#
tantek
in that case I should get a third lol
#
aaronpk
Well it is past my bedtime so good night!
#
tantek
good night aaronpk!
#
Loqi
laila tov!
#
aaronpk
Looking forward to indiewebcamp Nürnberg in just under 9 hours!
#
tantek
would anyone be interested in yoga sessions before the start of IndieWeb Summit (either or both days)?
# benwerd joined the channel
#
tantek
sharing this here from chat channel because I think the person that said it would be ok with me doing so (i.e. not written by me) -----> "A hands-on conference focused on making your own website and connecting it to social media - so you don't have to store everything you make on Facebook"
#
tantek
^^^ summary for IndieWebCamp / IndieWeb Summit
#
tantek
thoughts? iterations? how / should we add to indieweb.org/2017 and/or 2017.indieweb.org and/or POSSE copies?
# benwerd joined the channel
# benwerd_ joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# benwerd_ joined the channel
# benwerd joined the channel
# benwerd_ joined the channel
# snarfed joined the channel
# tantek joined the channel
# snarfed joined the channel
# snarfed1 joined the channel
# wolftune joined the channel
# gRegorLove joined the channel
#
gRegorLove
Good evening, indieweb
#
gRegorLove
I saw discussion about lodging for IWS. I'm open to sharing an AirBNB if anyone's interested.
#
gRegorLove
schmarty: What's the name of the hostel you're staying at?
# strugee joined the channel
# leg joined the channel
# jjuran joined the channel
# pl_ joined the channel
# gucci_meow joined the channel
#
gRegorLove
IWS travel booked!
#
gRegorLove
Still considering lodging. There's an AirBNB room near downtown with 2 beds, $124/night at the moment if anyone's interested.
#
GWG
I still prefer hotels
# wolftune joined the channel
#
gRegorLove
GWG: That's fair. Are you definitely coming, or still researching?
#
GWG
I got approval, so I will likely book it
#
GWG
I had to wait
#
GWG
I enjoyed last year, except the heat
#
gRegorLove
Yeah, here's hoping it's not as hot this year.
#
GWG
I told aaronpk to work on it
#
jjuran
gRegorLove: I just booked a room at the same hostel.
#
jjuran
This says "Private Room Sleeps 3" for $94 per night. My private room costs more than that somehow…
#
gRegorLove
Prices vary based on the schedule
#
gRegorLove
That's just the base price
#
jjuran
Also, I'm going to be there the whole week, including Open Source Bridge.
#
gRegorLove
Cool. I'm looking at 22nd through 25th. Looks like that place isn't available evening of the 25th unfortunately.
#
jjuran
Not anymore. :-P
#
jjuran
Actually, I have no idea how their AirBnB listing interacts with other bookings.
# wolftune joined the channel
#
gRegorLove
Ended up booking a studio since it seemed like the next best deal and matched the dates I wanted.
#
GWG
Wonder if it is worth staying 20 minutes away by train.
#
GWG
To save 50% on the room rate
#
dougbeal
All on the same line?
#
miklb
I would
#
GWG
I need a Portland person, I think, to give me an opinion.
#
gRegorLove
I stayed about that far away my second year. I was pleased with public transportation.
#
GWG
Some place called the University Place Hotel
#
GWG
And I like public transport
#
dougbeal
GWG: it looks good to me, you can take MAX or a bus
#
Loqi
[superfeedr] "Just set up my first instance of Known on NearlyFreeSpeech! Time to write up a guide for https://withknown.com #IndieWeb" by Chris Bolas on 2017-05-19 https://www.chrisbolas.com/2017/just-set-up-my-first-instance-of-known-on-nearlyfreespeech
#
GWG
And they throw in breakfast. Not that hotel breakfasts are so great.
#
gRegorLove
Hampton Inn has a reliably good breakfast
#
gRegorLove
But they're usually a bit pricier
# [cleverdevil] joined the channel
#
[cleverdevil]
PDX trains are pretty solid. Save the money!
#
GWG
I like Hampton Inns too
#
GWG
[cleverdevil]: Any recommendations?
#
schmarty
gRegorLove: The Society Hotel
#
schmarty
sorry for missing the earlier conversation. i was at the Baltimore Podcast Festival teching and 'casting.
#
GWG
schmarty: Shared bathroom?
#
schmarty
i booked in the very hostel-like part of The Society Hotel. so, a shared room (private bunks) with multiple communal bathrooms.
#
schmarty
it is definitely outside my usual but it is affordable and super close to the venue and fondly reminds me of my startup days in 2011 :}
#
gRegorLove
Ooh, podcast festival sounds fun
#
GWG
I'd rather spend the same amount, but stay a bit farther afield and get a bathroom.
#
schmarty
it was! a bunch of local baltimore podcasts brought together in a big 4 hour block of live shows. there's more tomorrow but the venue tonight was where my improv group plays and i volunteered my recording equipment.
#
GWG
schmarty: Sounds fun
#
schmarty
sounds like folks are already locking places down. i'd be up for sharing an AirBNB out along the rails to make things more private + affordable but I don't know the area enough to trust myself with the planning.
#
schmarty
so i will probably stick with my hostel booking :}
#
GWG
schmarty: If I come, I could opt for a double room.
#
GWG
gRegorLove can vouch for my acceptability as a roommate
#
gRegorLove
There's a couch in the studio AirBNB I reserved if anyone wants :)
#
GWG
I can't handle a couch.
#
gRegorLove
Also can cancel up to 24 hours beforehand if something better comes along.
#
dougbeal
I'm intrested in an AirBnB as well... when are people arriving/leaving? I will take the train from Seattle, so Thursday to Monday
#
schmarty
hmm. i guess my decision would ride on how far of a ride out of downtown vs price. more time with indieweb people is a bonus. difficulty: the downtown hostel is so affordable
#
gRegorLove
dougbeal: I'm arriving Thursday late evening, returning Monday afternoon, so 4 nights
#
GWG
My estimate is 20 minutes ride from the venue
#
schmarty
dougbeal: pretty much same itinerary as gRegorLove
#
GWG
But my intention is to come down...stay there all day, and return to the hotel at night only
#
jjuran
schmarty: Hi!
#
schmarty
jjuran: hello!
#
jjuran
I'm seriously considering taking the train back to DC instead of flying.
#
schmarty
jjuran: another HWC Baltimore coming up May 31st if you're around :}
#
schmarty
haha, from portland??
#
Loqi
ahahahaha
#
GWG
jjuran: Sounds like fun
#
schmarty
that sounds like a fun adventure
#
jjuran
$232, 65 hours
#
schmarty
an affordable adventure!
#
jjuran
It's not just price. I can't really work with arriving at DCA right before Metro stops running.
#
schmarty
i will be coming off of a week of travel before IWS but otherwise that is tempting, haha
#
jjuran
A couple years ago, some friends and I took the Coast Starlight from Oakland to Seattle on our way to LinuxFest Northwest. It was fun!
#
dougbeal
This is the point where I wish I could just search for AirBnBs along transit
#
gRegorLove
Have you taken that train ride before? I was just recently reading up on taking some Amtrack rides. Was warned against the long trips without a sleeper upgrade :)
#
jjuran
Well, Oakland to Seattle was 23 hours, so I'm familiar with sleeping in the seat.
#
gRegorLove
I'm thinking about taking it down to San Diego and back
#
dougbeal
I did Philly to Indianapolis at 16 hours, and the daylight hours were fine, but then it ground on, and the train would stop pretty often and shuffle pople on and off.
#
schmarty
I've done a sleeper car ride from Redding, CA to Seattle and I can say: the sleeping space is not a huge improvement over the chairs.
#
schmarty
(that is to say, i did the much more affordable bunk-style sleeper)
#
jjuran
schmarty: I spontaneously checked the date of the next HWC just as I was missing the last one. :-/
#
jjuran
So yeah, I'd love to come by on May 31.
#
schmarty
jjuran: no worries. we've been moving the Baltimore HWC around to accommodate other events at the venue. we're getting close to being bi-weekly, which is fun!
#
schmarty
looking forward to seeing you at the May 31 meeting!
#
jjuran
My sites are all HTTPS now. :-)
#
schmarty
i'm hoping to get some wisdom and inspiration from IWS to plan an IndieWebCamp Baltimore(/Washington D.C.??)
#
schmarty
nice! ❤️ HTTPS
#
dougbeal
Nothing really jumping out at me on AirBnB, I will take up the search again tomarrow.
# snarfed joined the channel
#
miklb
peaks in wishing FL wasn't so far away from PDX
#
GWG
Buying my ticket to PDX now
#
GWG
Hotel reserved. Extra bed if someone wants to split.
#
aaronpk
Good morning!
# wolftune joined the channel
#
GWG
aaronpk: Good morning. Just bought a ticket to Portland
#
GWG
Do you know anything about the University Place Hotel?
#
aaronpk
I haven't heard of it before
#
GWG
It is apparently run by Portland State University
#
aaronpk
Ah nice, looks like it's right on a Max stop too
#
GWG
Yes
#
GWG
It's safe to travel Max at night, isn't it?
#
aaronpk
Yeah especially just downtown that short distance
#
GWG
Excited about IWC today?
#
aaronpk
ive taken the last max from the airport home at like midnight before. I'm going to do that on Monday night when I come home too
#
aaronpk
Yes, looking forward to it! Curious to see what sessions we'll end up with today!
#
GWG
You doing video?
#
gRegorLove
miklb: Definitely seems to be several people interested in FL based on /Planning, maybe we should make it happen this year
#
jjuran
My lodging and travel are booked. Now I just have to finish my OSB talk. :-)
#
miklb
gRegorLove I haven't looked at that page in a little while
#
gRegorLove
What's your talk, jjuran?
#
Loqi
Josh Juran
#
jjuran
"How to Build a Portable, Eco-Friendly, Interactive 2D Graphics Demo out of Spare Parts"
#
jjuran
Rumor has it there will be Mac emulation and animated kittens.
#
GWG
I just want to do something this weekend.
#
GWG
Accomplish one of my tasks.
#
miklb
for ownyourswarm to work with simple location WP plugin, do I want json or simple form encoded?
#
GWG
It shouldn't matter, but I have to look more closel
#
GWG
Micropub converts location to WordPress standards, so it should work
#
miklb
OK. I'm sure you've gotten this question before, but there isn't a checkin kind. is that a reserved kind that just needs to be added?
#
GWG
miklb: Yes. It is just something I haven't built, because I had to build location first
#
miklb
understood
#
GWG
Simple Location is set to get venue support at some point
#
miklb
hmm. didn't seem to pass the location data, at least set as json format. I'll keep playing around with it.
#
GWG
Simple Location doesn't support a name and url as a location.
#
GWG
According to this, it doesn't pass a location property.
#
miklb
well, lat & long
#
GWG
aaronpk: When you return...the docs page for own your swarm doesn't show an example of a checkin property.
#
aaronpk
Ah I do need to update the docs for the simple OYS request
# tanlaan joined the channel
#
tanlaan
Has anyone played around with the twitter plugin for Known? Apparently my API key and secret aren't doing it to post. I got Facebook to post just fine
#
GWG
miklb: If we update Micropub to support saving those properties, then I can make Simple Location display it.
#
GWG
Simple Location uses WordPress Geodata format, which would be geo_latitude, etc in the meta. So anything that saves to that, including the WordPress mobile apps, will be displayed
#
miklb
gotcha. Thanks for explaining
#
@krautsource
Freue mich auf @IndieWebCampDE heute in Nürnberg!
(twtr.io/1RutBMsrsxc)
# asuh joined the channel
#
asuh
Can I ask a question about the WordPress documentation found here? https://indieweb.org/Getting_Started_on_WordPress#Self-hosted_WordPress
#
GWG
asuh: Ask away
#
GWG
You have two WordPress users here
#
asuh
This section explains that as long as you've installed the IndieWeb plugin, you should be able to go to the Profile section and add your social profiles which will then show in new link elements in the header of the site. I'm not able to make this work.
#
miklb
header or <head>
#
GWG
asuh: Go to the Options tab under Indieweb and set which author is the current one.
#
asuh
Yes, I looked there and it is correct since there's only one profile user
#
asuh
I believe "header" should say "<head>"