#dev 2018-11-06

2018-11-06 UTC
jgmac1106 joined the channel
#
[jgmac1106]
!tell JeremeyCherfas I have put out feelers to (not to Mendeley...Elsevier...eck) to most open platforms Zotero, Scalar they are attached to a vocabulary used by libraries can't remember the name. Couldn't get much traction
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
[jgmac1106]
Where @zegnat and I failed was on how crappy the citations are in Google Scholar. We couldn't get a good bibtex rrecordwith any reliability to justify the work...garabage in....each field would have to be manually entered or atelast editable
jgmac1106 joined the channel
#
Kongaloosh
[jgmac1106]: I really like zotero
#
jgmac1106
yeah…but where does it live…first kind of open class I ran was on Zotero…a Vygotsky Study Group
[Khurt] joined the channel
#
Kongaloosh
you can run your own zotero instance, or hub, or whatever if I remember correctly..
#
Kongaloosh
haven't gotten to that point yet
#
Kongaloosh
oherwise it can be local
#
@jgmac1106
@juliadavisEDU Your blog is pretty awesome. Post on tensions and opposites is great. Here is the link to adding webmentions to your blog I talked about during #edtechchat https://brid.gy (http://quickthoughts.jgregorymcverry.com/s/1r8liy)
(twitter.com/_/status/1059628379505414144)
#
@jgmac1106
@juliadavisEDU Your blog is pretty awesome. Post on tensions and opposites is great. Here is the link to adding webmentions to your blog I talked about during #edtechchat https://brid.gy (http://quickthoughts.jgregorymcverry.com/s/1r8liy)
(twitter.com/_/status/1059628379505414144)
[jgmac1106], [asuh], myfreeweb, [kevinmarks] and renem joined the channel
#
jeremycherfas
!tell [jgmac1106] Do you mean Dublin Core?
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
[pfefferle], [dave], cweiske, [asuh], calumryan, [tantek], [schmarty], swentel, tglobe and [Rose] joined the channel
#
GWG
Rose, someone at Berlin was excited about your Micropub work, but can't remember who.
[schmarty] and [tantek] joined the channel
#
[schmarty]
GWG not sure if this is what you're thinking of but i was very excited about the micropub media endpoint upload for Workflow / Shortcuts that [Rose] put together.
#
[Rose]
[eddie] made the media endpoint, I just added multi-uploads
#
GWG
It was a whirlwind weekend
#
[schmarty]
[Rose] ah, i remembered the two of you working back and forth on it, but i think i am using your version.
#
[Rose]
Maybe?
#
[schmarty]
last night i used as part of making this looping video post from a live photo!
#
Loqi
[Marty McGuire] Dark & Stormy [video]
#
[schmarty]
i used the Photos feature to turn a live photo into an animated gif loop (swipe up on any live photo to see the option. i had no idea it was there!). then used a workflow to turn the gif into an MP4 .mov, then the micropub media endpoint upload, and finally wrote a post with the video tag by hand (which i had to correct later because of smart quotes)
[abhi] and calumryan joined the channel
#
swentel
those videos allow me to test indigenous video playing too, so keep them coming :)
#
[schmarty]
[abhi]: what is your use case for authenticating a "user @ host"? also this sounds like something aaronpk knows a lot more about than me. :}
#
petermolnar
so... I made an extremely simple PHP script that receives micropub and puts the whole JSON payload into a file. On build, I rsync these off (copy, then delete) the server and I plan to process them as posts before the actual build. I've tried putting the whole thing on AWS - beanstalk + SQS - but I came to the conclusion, that AWS is misleading, complicated, and will make you pay if you make any mistakes (fortunately I'm talking $0
#
petermolnar
.12, but still). Any suggestions for "free tier" services that could make
#
petermolnar
this serverless, so others without self-hosting PHP and SSH and RSYNC might benefit from it as well?
#
[abhi]
[schmarty]. I wanna authenticate a user from another domain just like we sign the user in using google into our website using Google Identity.
#
[abhi]
I followed an article through a tweet about IndieAuth by Mozilla
#
[abhi]
And I was just wondering if I could do my thing using IndieAuth
#
[schmarty]
[abhi] Google's identity service works by extending OAuth2 with proprietary Google identifiers and requiring client apps to register to use it.
deathrow1 joined the channel
#
[schmarty]
IndieAuth is similar in that it also extends OAuth2. but instead of using "user@host" IDs, it uses URLs (usually your personal homepage). there is also no client registration, as "apps" are also represented by their URL.
#
[schmarty]
[aaronpk] wrote the article you're referring to so i am sure he can better answer your questions. he is currently traveling.
#
[schmarty]
(but should be around intermittently)
#
[abhi]
[schmarty]. I appreciate your response. Thank you!
mblaney joined the channel
#
jeremycherfas
!tell [Rose] GWG It might have been Tiara tmiller
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
[Rose]
Hello
#
[Rose]
I want to come to Berlin next year
#
jeremycherfas
Don't we all.
#
[Rose]
Probably, but I actually got programming done in Nürnberg, and I would like to progress with the IndieWeb skeleton for Grav
[markmhendrickso joined the channel
#
[markmhendrickso
[sknebel] interesting re: IndieAuth cross-authentication, checking out that link!
#
jeremycherfas
Yup. Me too. Got sidetracked though reading petermolnar post about GPSprune and wondering whether I should get into that now, while I do not have much to change. Or be flexible enough with data storage and templates to be able to change when the time comes.
#
jeremycherfas
My goal for today is to get the sitsync plugin working.
#
jeremycherfas
Gitsync, obvs
[Vincent] joined the channel
#
[Rose]
I think my next challenge is to decide how I want to implement some things, multiple plugins with some interdependency, or one big plugin.
#
jeremycherfas
I'd love to be able to offer advice, but it would be pointless.
#
[Rose]
From a user perspective what you would want to see would be nice.
#
jeremycherfas
Although I would say, for an IndieWeb Grav skeleton, one big is probably the simplest for users and the most difficult for you.
#
[Rose]
I mean, I would have to write all the code anyway. It's just which file(s) you put it in to some extent
#
jeremycherfas
I have only the vaguest understanding of dependencies, so that has to be a consideration.
#
[Vincent]
!tell [eddie] spotted a tiny bug on Indigenous https://github.com/EdwardHinkle/indigenous-ios/issues/239 If the steps are unclear, hit me up and I’ll elaborate further 🙂
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
Loqi
[vipickering] #239 black on black text [bug]
[aaronpk] joined the channel
#
[aaronpk]
[Rose] we were talking about your Grav work in Berlin! [tmiller] just set up her site with Grav and wants to start using Micropub apps!
#
Loqi
[aaronpk]: [eddie] left you a message 17 hours, 48 minutes ago: Analyzing your code snippets. it looks like the only thing different about the Micropub posts is that you set p3k-content-type to code/code-type so I’m guessing your internal PTD checks to see if content-type == code/* and that’s how it treats it differently?
#
[Rose]
I have nothing ready yet, should hopefully have a hack up this weekend though (just 2 files to drop into the Grav core and a few lines to add to the base twig which is easy to do)
#
[aaronpk]
[eddie] you found the secret!
larry and [eddie] joined the channel
#
[eddie]
awesome. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything 🙂
#
[eddie]
!tell thanks Vincent! I’ll take a look
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
[eddie]
!tell Vincent thanks, I’ll take a look!
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
sknebel
[tmiller] set up Grav in Berlin, plugins for it probably came up in that context
#
sknebel
petermolnar: there's still heroku, for a micropub thing it's runtime limitations could be fine? and the FaaS stuff like AWS Lambda, but getting PHP to run on those is afaik also kind of hacky
#
petermolnar
it's even more tricky, apparently
#
sknebel
oh, sorry, misread... let me fetch my coffee first...
#
sknebel
google app engine does python3 now, as does Lambda
#
sknebel
they changed the app engine environment around completely, it's a lot more standard now than it was with the python2 one. which is annoying for old stuff, but maybe better for new
#
sknebel
what is Grav?
#
Loqi
Grav is a flat-file CMS built on PHP, with Twig templating, and YAML + Markdown for storing articles (YAML for metadata, Markdown for the content) https://indieweb.org/Grav
#
sknebel
jeremycherfas [Rose] could one of you add info about micropub things to that page? (+ maybe other stuff that's missing, if there's any) Notes about in-progress stuff are fine too!
#
[Rose]
When I have something to link to I can, but right now there's no link 😛
#
jeremycherfas
I feel the same. I've added my examples of using Grav with IndieWeb and there is nothing else to offer. I'm reluctant to recommend perlkonig's webmention plugin because I simply could not get it to work for me.
#
petermolnar
[Rose]: Tiara (NYC HVC organiser) started working on her own site with Grav as well, I believe she could be a good candidate for testing that skeleton
#
[Rose]
When it gets that far that would be great.
[jgmac1106] joined the channel
#
[jgmac1106]
I have a Grav site up. Happy to help test
[tonz] joined the channel
#
sknebel
!tell [frank] I just remembered your Inoreader question. You can add custom sites to the share menu in the bottom right, which might even work with e.g. indieweb press this out of the box
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
[Khurt] joined the channel
#
swentel
note to self: when writing tests with xray, make sure you local domain has a .dot in it :)
#
swentel
and maybe for everyone else too ;)
#
petermolnar
but... localhost +
#
swentel
yeah, but it validates a URL at some point for parsing mf2
#
swentel
and yeah, I guess localhost isn't valid from a public url perspective I guess
#
swentel
oh well
#
swentel
glad I found it because I was going crazy getting the tests right
#
sknebel
!tell frank actually, they even give wordpress press-this as their example, so yeah, that should work :D
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
petermolnar
btw, swentel, you're the dev of indigenous android, right? it seems like it doesn't like my site, and telling me it couldn't find all required links with rel=(authorization_endpoint, token_endpoint, micropub, microsub ) - but they are there. Any idea what debug information should I try to get to see what's wrong?
#
swentel
petermolnar, are your endpoints in html or in the header response ?
#
swentel
interesting
#
swentel
what's the site ?
#
petermolnar
who is petermolnar?
#
swentel
maybe it trips because authorization_endpoint and token_endpoint are twice in the source
[pfefferle] joined the channel
#
swentel
that's the only thing I can think of right now
#
swentel
yeah, those are twice in your source :)
#
swentel
try removing them and see what happens hehe
#
swentel
not sure whether I should consider that as a bug or not .. :)
#
sknebel
spec explicitly says how to handle multiple ones
#
swentel
really ?!
#
sknebel
always the first link header, if there's none the first link tag
#
sknebel
(I'd personally prefer if if it said "fail if there's multiple", but that's a different topic)
#
swentel
what's the case for multiple ? do you need to present an intermediate screen to select where to authorize ?
#
swentel
(in case they are different of course hehe)
#
sknebel
always the first link header, if there's none the first link tag
#
petermolnar
yep, without duplicates, it's fine
#
swentel
I have to add support header link anyway for indigenous, only works with tags now
#
swentel
petermolnar, ok cool :)
#
[aaronpk]
swentel while you're here, [tmiller] was trying to log in to indigenous after setting up Aperture and she got logged in but then it said there were no channels. Any ideas?
[tmiller], [dave] and [kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
swentel
[aaronpk], hmm hard to tell, do you see a request coming in by any chance on the url ?
#
[aaronpk]
I didn't think to look tbh
#
sknebel
might be interesitng to have in the UI for users even? "last authenticated request received X seconds ago"
#
[aaronpk]
Error is "Channels not found, check your internet connection"
#
[aaronpk]
Clicking "refresh configuration" looks successful
#
swentel
ok, so the microsub endpoint should be detected then normally
#
swentel
but it's possible you need to restart the app (internal refresh after refresh configuration isn't fully detected)
#
swentel
need to fix that
#
swentel
(even though it doesn't happen that much normally)
#
[aaronpk]
Another question, "select account" is showing her an email address
#
swentel
that's .. very weird
#
[aaronpk]
After uninstalling and reinstalling the app even
#
swentel
I have no idea where that comes from, should be the domain ..
#
swentel
hmm, what's the domain ?
#
[aaronpk]
Is that select account thing somehow pulling system accounts?
#
swentel
yes, but it should only fetch indigenous accounts
#
swentel
I only see two here on my install
#
[aaronpk]
Somehow it persisted across installs and is definitely not an indigenous account :-) also the app crashes after she clicks it and then has to uninstall the app because launching it again tries to load the bad account
#
swentel
so, that's probably an email account I guess
#
[jgmac1106]
is she logging in with her Known or Grav site?
#
swentel
ok, I need to open a bug for that :)
#
swentel
tried to let it crash less already, but still not good enough hehe
#
[jgmac1106]
she may not have updated to master, I used [cleverdevil]'s fork not sure if [tmiller] updated to 09.9.9a
#
[aaronpk]
Now she's trying to post a photo and I'm confused by how this is supposed to work
#
swentel
ok, so logging in works at least now ?
#
[jgmac1106]
I know my kids can't use Indigenous until I update
#
[aaronpk]
Yes logging in and posting has worked
#
swentel
ok cool
#
[aaronpk]
I think I know what's going on here
#
[jgmac1106]
best way for photo is to use note and add the single photo, I do belive it converts to phot post type though Known has no post type discovery
#
[aaronpk]
Oh her Known is 0.9.9a
#
[aaronpk]
I think known is not letting Aperture check whether the token is valid
#
sknebel
so aperture should report that, and Indigenous should surface that error instead of saying something generic
#
swentel
hmm so the internet connection error message is probably what's confusing here (I should check for better status codes)
#
sknebel
maybe I should clean up and post the rant about non-technical error messages I have in a drafts folder somewhere :D
#
[aaronpk]
I think Aperture returns something somewhat descriptive there but I don't remember exactly. Can check when we're in the air
#
[aaronpk]
there was a good session at the conference yesterday that mentioned helpful vs not helpful error messages. It was part of the gov.uk project
#
sknebel
ohh. are there recordings?
#
[aaronpk]
There will be, I don't think they'reposted yet tho
#
[aaronpk]
swentel: the "media" upload confused both of us. We didn't realize that "Note" was the button to press to post a photo, since "media" was also in that list
#
swentel
[aaronpk], yeah the post types listing could use a usability review
#
[jgmac1106]
yeah I saw that as well and tried that, but a photo post is a note with a photo, multiple photos takes article
#
swentel
I could add 'photo' in that list, but it's the same as a note right ?
#
[jgmac1106]
also how to handle the photo rotations, or to tell people just to use portrait and not landscape photos?
#
swentel
photo rotations should work fine now
#
swentel
posted a few photos myself and works great
#
[aaronpk]
swentel: I wouldn't add a new option, but not sure how to handle it
#
[aaronpk]
I think if "media" weren't on the list I would have thought to just use "note"
#
Loqi
[Greg McVerry] My kids invented their own version of Deal or No Deal. Calling the banker on the walkie-talkie http://quickthoughts.jgregorymcverry.com/file/606b7d10525d3dd9dc2ce5d9ebc0acda/thumb.jpg
#
swentel
[aaronpk], right, makes sense, maybe it'd be better to just rename 'media' to 'media endpoint'
#
[jgmac1106]
base on this they are different: https://indieweb.org/posts#Types_of_Posts but yes just <img class="u-photo" src="photo.jpg">
#
swentel
it also isn't there if the media endpoint doesn't exist
#
[jgmac1106]
what is the use case for using media endpoint?
#
Loqi
It looks like we don't have a page for "use case for using media endpoint" yet. Would you like to create it? (Or just say "use case for using media endpoint is ____", a sentence describing the term)
#
swentel
grantcodes sometimes just uploads pictures
#
[kevinmarks]
how do people decide which links to send webmentions for? I bodged something together for mention.tech last night, but it is a bit dependent on finding an h-entry
#
[aaronpk]
Yeah or "manual file upload" or something to make sure it's obvious it's not a typical action
#
swentel
and copy pastes the url then somewhere else
#
swentel
yeah, I need to split that screen anyway
#
[kevinmarks]
also I suspect it will confuse things with an h-feed -
#
swentel
if your micropub supports ?q=source, more options appear
#
swentel
mine is way to long and I confuse myself as well
#
swentel
s/to/too
#
[aaronpk]
This is why the explicit post type thing is discouraged :-)
#
[jgmac1106]
well we aren't gonna get post type discovery in Known any time soon
#
[aaronpk]
This has nothing to do with Known
#
[jgmac1106]
ohh okaym, sorry
#
[aaronpk]
Known is taking the Micropub request which already doesn't have the concept of post types and it maps it to its own types
dmcweeney joined the channel
#
[jgmac1106]
always wonder how it recognized the request and chose the correct post type....haven't tried them all yet
#
[aaronpk]
It essentially has to do post type discovery on the Micropub request, that code should be in the Micropub plugin in Known
#
dmcweeney
okay i need some help with CSS for my website
#
swentel
[aaronpk], so, you'd rather opt for one form, with many optional fields then ?
#
[aaronpk]
There's a lot of screenshots and documentation on how other apps handle it, it'd be worth looking at those
#
dmcweeney
If you notice on this page, starting at the last blog post "The Power of Teaching and Teachers" all the way to the footer, there is all this white space. How do I get rid of it?
#
[aaronpk]
At some point you do need a different form for certain content but it doesn't correspond 1:1 with post types
#
dmcweeney
The first blog page does not show the white space gap
#
[aaronpk]
What is create?
#
Loqi
create in the context of the indieweb refers to the act of and UI for creating a new post, in its simplest form, a new note https://indieweb.org/create
#
dmcweeney
And that shows the first page with no white space gap
#
[aaronpk]
Ooh Zegnat you need to add your UI to that list!
#
sknebel
dmcweeney: for me there's a sidebar that's longer at the left, partially off-screen
#
dmcweeney
sknebel: Yes, I want to know how to get rid of that too!
#
Zegnat
I should create a page for my posting interface. tantek also told me that. Might find the time after work tonight.
#
[aaronpk]
Zegnat++ yay
#
Loqi
Zegnat has 59 karma in this channel over the last year (174 in all channels)
#
sknebel
the main content column is set to width:100% (on .container-inner), so it forces the other stuff off-screen
#
Loqi
yay!
#
Zegnat
How visible is it in the Nürnberg demos? Could just link to that for now.
#
swentel
hmm right, a select box for say bookmark/repost/like would make sense
#
[aaronpk]
Should be a good screen capture there
#
swentel
that would drop 4 of thos post types :)
#
Loqi
definitely
#
dmcweeney
sknebel: okay so how would I get rid of that sidebar?
#
sknebel
check if your template has a dedicated way of turning it off, otherwise you'll have to edit it out manually I guess
#
swentel
hmm interesting ui with the checkboxes for repost/like from gregor
#
swentel
should/would that create different entities at the micropub endpoint ?
#
swentel
you can toggle 'I am reposting this URL' and/or 'I like this URL'
#
sknebel
ah, if it should create multiple posts?
#
sknebel
that's a good question :D
#
swentel
it depends I guess
#
sknebel
many receivers run PTD on webmentions, and only display the highest
#
sknebel
e.g. aaronpk's site doesn't register the "like-of" of a combined reply/like
#
dmcweeney
I checked and it already shows it turned off so I am wondering how would I do it manually
#
swentel
right, hmm interesting
#
sknebel
on the other hand you could say "I have what I want to post on my site, if the receiver doesn't show it perfectly that's ok"
#
[jgmac1106]
@dmcweeney I am on campus today... Is it a WordPress theme?
#
swentel
hehe sure
#
sknebel
I personally considered the multi-post thing and didn't decide on a nice way of presenting it on my site
#
sknebel
since I don't want to show 2 full posts for it
#
swentel
sknebel, but, so from indigenous point of view, it should only send one micropub request then, with like-of and repost-of urls in the payload
#
swentel
hmm yeah
#
sknebel
yeah, I'd leave that to the site to figure out
#
sknebel
or you decide to not support combined posts
#
swentel
it's a use case I haven't thought of yet
#
swentel
opens new issue for indigenous and drupal :)
#
sknebel
but then you need to understand specific properties, because some might be mix-able
#
swentel
coding never stops, that's clear
#
dmcweeney
jgmac1106 its the humean theme
ZegnatAtWork joined the channel
#
ZegnatAtWork
create << {{martijnvdven}}’s posting UI: [https://youtu.be/QZxDltB4_fo?t=2166 demoed at IWC Nürnberg].
#
Loqi
ok, I added "{{martijnvdven}}’s posting UI: [https://youtu.be/QZxDltB4_fo?t=2166 demoed at IWC Nürnberg]." to the "See Also" section of /create https://indieweb.org/wiki/index.php?diff=53518&oldid=44765
#
Zegnat
For people who may want more and/or different inspiration on posting UI ^^^
#
dmcweeney
@jgmac1106 its the humean theme
#
swentel
oh interesting
#
swentel
ok, I feel a major refactoring coming in :)
#
kisik21
By the way, is there a list of possible interactions I could encounter in webmention? I know it has three or four values for RSVPs, can be a reply to a post or a like... but facebook has over 5 variants of likes!
#
[jgmac1106]
Hueman has active GitHub and active support threads
#
dmcweeney
Would they be able to help?
#
[jgmac1106]
Not sure. Think they have a pro version that comes with support. How most theme developers pay the bills
#
swentel
sknebel, is it ok if I paste some parts of that conversation in an issue ? So I can remember when I want to start working on that :)
#
sknebel
swentel: sure!
#
[jgmac1106]
I will look... Sounds like you are just messing with your custom. Crazy busy today but we can hack on it
#
Zegnat
swentel: hope you aren't refactoring completely based on my UI, haha
#
swentel
Zegnat oh no, I'm just dumping issues so I don't forget :)
#
[jgmac1106]
Sweet, been working on Known reactions plugin.. Was worried about the bookmark/like set up using Indigineous but it works fine
#
swentel
it's interesting how I went from around 25 issues for both projects back to 40+ in only a few days time
#
swentel
oh well
#
dmcweeney
@jgmac1106 can I give you a call today? if so what time?
#
[jgmac1106]
I have a chapter two weeks behind and then a faculty meeting at 2:00. Can you do 3:00? I can't promise I can fix it
#
dmcweeney
Does 3:30 work or later tonight?
#
[jgmac1106]
Before we meet can you write a post explaining what you want, what you did to the CSS, and what's not working?
#
dmcweeney
I can give you my log in information so you have access to the CSS panel
#
[jgmac1106]
3:30 fine...if you can write the backstage post first will help me.
#
dmcweeney
How do I send post to you?
#
[jgmac1106]
No we can screencast and walk you through.... Again though I am just learning CSS... And Hueman is a Huge (but awesome) theme and different plugins can mess up CSS
#
[jgmac1106]
Just put #IndieWeb in title and it will find us
#
[jgmac1106]
Or if you mention me or my blog in the post I get a webmention
#
dmcweeney
okay so we can screencast at 3:30 then - I'll make a new blog post as a webmention and mention you in it
#
[jgmac1106]
... By just learning found my post from 2011 when I started to mess with CSS... 7 years is still just learning with CSS
#
[jgmac1106]
You just learn new ways to break things
#
dmcweeney
okay so we can screencast at 3:30 then - I'll make a new blog post as a webmention and mention you in it
[Khurt] and kisik211 joined the channel
#
dmcweeney
@jgmac1106 I figured out the sidebar!!
#
dmcweeney
All I had to do was change s2 (sidebar 2) to s1 (sidebar 1) and keep CSS exactly what it was
#
dmcweeney
I feel so stupid!
#
dmcweeney
It was right in front of me!
#
sknebel
petermolnar: not sure there's a common point for SPDX yet in HTML
#
jeremycherfas
!tell dmcweeney If I had a currency unit for every time something was right in front of me and I felt stupid after I finally saw it, I would have a lot of currency units.
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
#
dmcweeney
Now to figure out the white space gap
#
Loqi
dmcweeney: jeremycherfas left you a message 1 minute ago: If I had a currency unit for every time something was right in front of me and I felt stupid after I finally saw it, I would have a lot of currency units.
[schmarty] joined the channel
#
GWG
Who supports extended properties in Micropub media Endpoints?
#
GWG
I was thinking about supporting sending a name or tags in optionally with a file for indexing purposes
#
GWG
Then I could query for matching media in a client
#
sknebel
I think file name is the only thing specified or even proposed for now
#
sknebel
hm, Google has an option to search for creative commons content, but of course I can't find any documentation about *how* they're discovering that
#
GWG
Okay, who thinks it might be a good idea?
#
GWG
I like naming things
#
sknebel
I feel like this goes in the direction of the discussions we had around photos at IWC, that a photo (not a photo post) can have properties etc. I don't know if the media endpoint is the right place for it, but maybe it is
#
sknebel
so yes, attaching data to photos, interested
#
sknebel
for now I've extended the notes at /image_metadata a bit, for the media endpoint there's some brainstorming for extensions here: https://indieweb.org/micropub_media_endpoint
#
sknebel
(e.g. one could also upload through the media endpoint and then add data to the photo object through micropub maybe? I feel like this is going in the direction of the proposed(?) hmedia microformat)
#
GWG
We have a media Microformat?
#
sknebel
there was work on one in microformats 1
#
sknebel
I don't know how far it progressed, and it seems it wasn't ported to mf2
#
@jgmac1106
↩️ Turn off native comments. Webmentions still work. There is also an Askimet plugin listed. I haven't tried it yet. (http://quickthoughts.jgregorymcverry.com/s/28Vnra)
(twitter.com/_/status/1059824949945360384)
#
dmcweeney
@jgmac1106 I also figured out how to delete the white spaces!!
#
sknebel
with the photos discussion, maybe having a container format for properties related to the media makes sense
#
sknebel
so you can mark up license, separate author, ...
#
dmcweeney
I'm on a roll today-So when we talk this afternoon I only have to figure out a few more things
#
GWG
I added my thoughts
#
sknebel
hm, Google's structured data testing thing doesn't seem to recognize the license stuff either...
#
sknebel
GWG++ thanks
#
Loqi
GWG has 41 karma in this channel over the last year (169 in all channels)
#
petermolnar
licence per media would make a lot of sense
#
petermolnar
it's not that simple
#
petermolnar
given there's a <link> tag for licence
#
kisik21
Question. How do you implement a "Wrote something? send me a webmention! <input><button>" form? Is there a JS snippet for it?
#
sknebel
petermolnar: yeah, but that isn't clearly scoped
#
petermolnar
that's exactly the issue
#
sknebel
so I'd not use it, or not only use it
#
sknebel
CC recommends some dublin core subset, I'm trying to figure out if that works
#
petermolnar
kisik21: for that I guess you can hardcode your site's webmention endpoint, so it'd be a simple html form
#
petermolnar
eg form, with 2 fields, one target, one source, the target is the page it's on, the source is the input field, the form processor target is your site's webmention endpoint
#
petermolnar
creating a form with js for this shouldn't be too hard
#
sknebel
petermolnar: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/CC_REL - again not sure how widespread that is
#
@JmacDotOrg
Thanks to Petter Hassberg for suggesting a nice little improvement to my Webmention module for Perl. (I keep forgetting that LWP doesn’t support HTTPS out of the box…) https://github.com/jmacdotorg/webmention-perl/issues/4
(twitter.com/_/status/1059828175960727552)
#
petermolnar
SEE THERE IS A PERL MODULE!!! (I mentioned it in Berlin)
#
Zegnat
kisik21: I am surprised how a simple form hasn't been documented on any how-to. You could look at any post on adactio.com and copy the html he uses for the webmentions form at the bottom. Action must be the URL of your endpoint, and the hidden input element with name target should be the current page URL.
[eddie] joined the channel
#
[eddie]
kisik21 Do you have your own webmention endpoint or do you use a hosted service?
#
sknebel
be prepared to encounter bots filling in random forms on websites though...
#
kisik21
eddie, I use webmention.io APIs for webmentions
#
sknebel
[eddie] does that matter?
#
[eddie]
It doesn’t persay, but I webmention.io has it’s own form if you hit the endpoint with a git, so I was going to say he could copy the form there
#
[eddie]
But as Zegnat said, adactio.com also has some good examples
#
GWG
Updated the notation that WordPress Micropub's media endpoint does have a response body
#
Zegnat
Wondering if it would make sense to add the example form to webmention.io docs
#
[eddie]
kisik21 if you visit webmention.io/Your_Domain/webmention in the web browser you’ll see a form as well. For example this one allows someone to send a form to my endpoint (http://webmention.io/eddiehinkle.com/webmention)
#
sknebel
petermolnar: so the CC REL stuff can handle nested content, but it's RDFa in HTML so not exactly a small add-on to our existing stacks. adding a u-license=url or p-license=spdx-code in microformats would relatively neatly solve it for our tech, and one could still publish the other too. Trying to figure out how common it is.
#
sknebel
I guess in images one can also embed license info into the image, do you do that already?
#
[eddie]
Although, the name=“target” should just be the url of the page the form is on if it’s below the post
#
[eddie]
Zegnat, yeah I’m guessing it would probably be useful to some people
[kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
[kevinmarks]
what is reacji
#
Loqi
reacji is an emoji reaction, the use of a single emoji character in response to a post, introduced as a feature by Slack[1] https://indieweb.org/reacji
KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
kisik21
kevinmarks: cool feature to have in the future
#
kisik21
but for now I'll go with usual likes
#
kisik21
How to markup mentions? I wanna mention a person, what h-entry class I need to use?
#
sknebel
we typically don't put mentions as properties
#
sknebel
there's person-tags, but those are stronger than mentions
#
kisik21
just link?
#
sknebel
(e.g. you might tag a person in a photo post because they are in the photo)
#
sknebel
you can make the link a small h-card, e.g. <a class="h-card" href="http://example.com">Person McPersonFace</a> if you want
#
[kevinmarks]
I use person tags for cites
#
[eddie]
!tell jgmac1106 my rss feeds should finally work properly and I redirected the broken one to the new working one.
#
Loqi
Ok, I'll tell them that when I see them next
[pfefferle] and [jgmac1106] joined the channel
#
[jgmac1106]
awesome [eddie], do I still use the timeline feed?
#
Loqi
[jgmac1106]: [eddie] left you a message 39 minutes ago: my rss feeds should finally work properly and I redirected the broken one to the new working one.
#
[eddie]
You can use whatever you like 🙂 But yeah, the Timeline feed is my primary feed
#
[eddie]
Although I did just remove articles so that’s a seperate feed you’d need to follow https://eddiehinkle.com/articles/
jackjamieson, [aaronpk] and snarfed joined the channel
#
kisik21
Is my photo post correctly-marked? https://fireburn.ru/photo/bug-in-comments/
#
Loqi
[Vika] Bug in comment section
[kevinmarks] joined the channel
#
kisik21
Woah, the bot picked it up
#
[kevinmarks]
I don't see a photo
#
[kevinmarks]
there's a photo on the homepage but not the post url
#
kisik21
forgot to modify the template for pages!
#
kisik21
kevinmarks: what about now?
#
kisik21
most importantly, did I use the h-entry tags for photo correctly?
#
sknebel
see the image now. and markup looks good!
#
sknebel
oh wait. the "e-content" shouldn't include the imge
#
[kevinmarks]
I thought it should be allowed to, did we change that?
#
sknebel
many tools have workarounds to try detect and work around it when people do it
#
sknebel
if you can avoid doing it, avoid it
#
sknebel
since you can't really figure it out cleanly
#
sknebel
in all cases
#
sknebel
at least that's what I got from aaronpk fighting with it for aperture and xray
swentel, sebsel, [Khurt], [dave], eli_oat and KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
Zegnat
Yeah, the problem with the photo as part of e-content is that you need to figure out if it is in there and have special handling for displaying. If it isn’t in e-content you need to render it yourself, if it is in there and you want to render it yourself in a special reader view you need to somehow remove it.
jackjamieson joined the channel
#
Zegnat
So I think generally the current advice is to put the photo outside of the content, as for a photo post the content is supposed to be about the photo anyway. If you have inline photos within the content, chances are the post isn’t specifically about them and you shouldn’t make them up with a photo property.
jackjamieson joined the channel
#
kisik21
sknebel, Zegnat: fixed!
#
sknebel
kisik21++
#
Loqi
kisik21 has 1 karma over the last year
#
kisik21
sknebel++
#
Loqi
sknebel has 28 karma in this channel over the last year (83 in all channels)
#
kisik21
Zegnat++
#
Loqi
Zegnat has 60 karma in this channel over the last year (175 in all channels)
KartikPrabhu joined the channel
#
@fluffy
I just got a Webmention from your site about my comics. Neat! Unfortunately the information is a bit outdated/weird. :) I've reorganized my site to make the comics work a bit better. For example, http://beesbuzz.biz/comics/ for all comics and http://beesbuzz.biz/comics/unity/ for Unity.
(twitter.com/_/status/1059904645529657344)
[Rose], jackjamieson, snarfed, [jgmac1106], KartikPrabhu, snarfed1, [schmarty] and calumryan joined the channel
#
[jgmac1106]
Just thinking about the licensing and indieweb search of photos. Wondering how the new creative commons search does it
snarfed, [kevinmarks] and snarfed1 joined the channel